Happy Go Lucky - Listing

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cowriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Happy Go Lucky - Listing

Post by cowriter » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:15 am

OK, it had to happen at some point, I got my first return :-) Now it's about improving the song so that it can be passed on next time. I'll copy the listing and the feedback below. The reviewer actually only criticized the excessive use of autotune. However, I didn't use autotune because I generally work with Melodyne and do it very sparingly (if it doesn't fit, I just sing again). So what do you think, is my voice generally too bad for such a listing and the screener just wanted to be polite? So, any tip for improvement is welcome, thanks in advance.

THE SONG::

https://www.taxi.com/members/D1seQlm9Sw ... us-ending-

THE LISTING:

https://www.taxi.com/listings/S240210HA

HAPPY-GO-LUCKY SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS with Female or Male Vocals are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal for placements in TV Promos, Advertising, and other TV Programming.
This company gets some really, really great placements! Please listen to the following references we got directly from the CEO of the company to get yourself in the general stylistic wheelhouse of what they need:
Reference #1: Wonderful With You
Reference #2: Wrap Me In Rainbows
Quoting The Company: "Lyrics should be minimal and short with very clear messages and hooks."
TAXI Tip: Notice how simple both references are! The lyrics are simple, short, sweet, and to the point. The melodies are instantly "hummable," and the feeling/vibe of loving life and having a great day is also instantly obvious. Typically, music supervisors and editors will use the chorus most often, so keep it simple, but the verses don't need to be like a typical song's chorus that tells a full story. Once again, keep all aspects simple and easy to "digest" so as much of your song is usable as possible. That goes for your instrumentation as well! Simple, simple, simple!
Please submit Singer/Songwriter Songs with a happy and emotionally upbeat sound and feel that could work well for a variety of sync placements! Bright and catchy melodies, memorable choruses, excellent musicianship and clear and well-written lyrics are all needed for this pitch. Organic Singer/Songwriter instrumentation that's in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the references will work best (acoustic guitar, percussion, light drums, etc.). Make sure your vocals are expressive and well-performed!

THE FEEDBACK:

What I like most about this song: Fun song. I like the positive, bouncy and upbeat mood. Catchy chorus and melody. I like the underscore.

I think you could improve this song by: I like this. But the vocals have too much auto-tune. And while this could work for some Pop and Hip Hop, it's not ideal for "Singer-Songwriter." I'd give them another pass (without the vocal processing).

I returned or forwarded this song because: The vocals could use another pass.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Happy Go Lucky - Listing

Post by AlanHall » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:39 am

Can I ask what you have on the vocal channel?
I'm hearing some kind of artifacts - can't make out what - that take the vocal production out of the 'singer-songwriter' realm for me. Auto-doubler? Enhancer? Something that sounds a little 'electronic' to my ears. Maybe that's what the screener referred to.

cowriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by cowriter » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:10 pm

Good point, I had Soothe and the new Waves Vox Clarity on it, I think that's what "bends" the signal too much.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:44 pm

Yep, I agree with Alan that there's something weird with the vocal processing (chorus plus a short delay that's louder than the dry signal?). At one point it sounds like "Ta-hell me about..." so I'd shy away from using that effect for a lead vocal. I also hear a hint of pitchy-ness with the big interval back to Eb in the last line each time, so perhaps it would be worth going for another take and leaving it pure and natural. Nice track though, so good luck with it.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cowriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by cowriter » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:20 am

Thanks, also very helpful!

WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by WSAO » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:43 pm

That was a hard one.
Song is good and according to the briefing.
Hard to understand sometimes...

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:59 am

I like the song but I agree the vocals sound over-processed - not something I'd do in a song like this where its' meant to sound quite organic and natureal...but it may work ok in an EDM/Pop type song.

Did you see the other thread where the writer was forarded and contacted quickly ? topic151606.html

I don't think there is a huge difference in the quality of the writing but the production is muchmore natural sounding.

cowriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by cowriter » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:45 am

I've already seen/heard this, but thanks anyway! Probably a coffee is due soon. :D The next time a similar briefing appears, I will improve it.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:14 am

cowriter wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:15 am
The reviewer actually only criticized the excessive use of autotune. However, I didn't use autotune because I generally work with Melodyne and do it very sparingly (if it doesn't fit, I just sing again).
THE SONG::

https://www.taxi.com/members/D1seQlm9Sw ... us-ending-

The song is great, but I think the screener is confusing the processing on the vocal chain with Autotune...Be aware that the phrase "Autotune" also applies to Melodyne (which I use as well...) It simply means "Vocal Tuning" instead of referring to the specific Antares product. I have had returns over this as well......
That said, I don't hear excessive Melodyne on this (and believe me, I can be EXCESSIVE with it on my lame vocal tracks! lol), so it has got to be the Chorus effect. I really tend to avoid any "Vocal Channel" presets within plugins, because they often are intended for Pop, Hip Hop, and EDM, and not this type of track. Although I have not tried the plugins that you mentioned earlier, I have tried a bunch, and at the end of the day, they sound like crap for the most part....
Fix the vocal track and you have yourself a winner here I think...easy peasy!!
Best of Luck!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com