S240228MN MINIMALIST, EMOTIONAL INSTRUMENTAL

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

S240228MN MINIMALIST, EMOTIONAL INSTRUMENTAL

Post by AlanHall » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

Here's a link to cue for S240228MN, due next Wednesday. Very Rough mix, haven't faded the tail yet. Not mastered. All comments welcome!

Acquiescence

Listing text:

Lots of MINIMALIST, EMOTIONAL INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a hard-working Music Library with loads of killer placements in iconic TV shows, and lots of International representation!
This Company is searching for a range of sparse, emotional, Down-to-Mid-tempo Instrumentals in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references and others in the same wheelhouse:

“Hope to See You Again” by Antent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9k74AGYZoU

“I Try Hard Not to Miss You” by Etherglow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=JRCWDWGkqDY

“Always With You” by Raphah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf8M8V8kpaU

Quoting the Company: "We need minimal and sparse emotional music that is both sad and heartbreaking, as well as cautiously optimistic and hopeful. Reverse ambient guitar and electronic elements work well in these types of cues, but piano ballads or strummy guitar cues do NOT… and nothing Orchestral at all, thanks!"
Please submit minimalist Instrumental Cues that could enhance an emotionally charged scene in a TV show. Your submissions should have one central motif with minimal—to—no—melodic movement and a very gradual developmental arc throughout. Instrumentation should be soft and ambient, including flowing synth pads, ethereal guitar, synth bass, muted mallets, etc. Make sure you keep it simple and don’t go overboard with too many instruments!
This Company let us know specifically that they are not looking for tracks where composers are showing off their compositional chops! They need Cues that support a scene, not take attention away from it. Less is more here!
TAXI TIP: If you struggle with keeping your Cue as simple as it should be, sometimes it’s helpful to hear it along with some dialogue! If it feels like it is creating a mood, then you could be on the right track. If it's drawing attention to itself, you might need to minimize it. (Do NOT include any actual dialogue in your submission. We're only suggesting that as a way to test its viability).
All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned endings are strongly recommended. Do NOT copy the reference tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of ANY other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.
Wednesday, February 28th, 2024. TAXI # S240228MN

eandersonmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Re: S240228MN MINIMALIST, EMOTIONAL INSTRUMENTAL

Post by eandersonmusic » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:50 am

Alan, this is a great piece!
But I'm not getting a sense of sadness and heartbreak. It feels more peaceful, dreamy and floaty to me. This is kind of a weird listing with the combination of moods. Maybe you could change a few notes/chords to make it more sad? Otherwise the sounds are great and the slight build seems to be exactly what they're looking for.
Just my thoughts..
Erik
Erik Anderson ~ Composer, Producer and Musician
Website • https://www.eandersonmusic.com
Taxi page • https://www.taxi.com/members/erikanderson
Spotify • https://open.spotify.com/artist/78FpvfK ... 0MClpl1zqA

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:45 pm

Erik,
great feedback! I often find myself producing pensive or otherwise dark ambient tracks when I need something neutral and meditative, so it's actually refreshing to hear that the pendulum has swung the other way. :lol: I will definitely take a closer listen and put your advice in action here.
Thank you very much!
Alan

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:26 pm

2 returns for 2 submissions...

The tracks are on my page, here:
Acquiescence
Saving Grace

returned because they were too busy, not sparse enough. D@mn fine line there!

Acquiescence
In this style the whole piece should be sparse, but especially the rhythmic elements. Subtlety is the key here, with very gradual development of the central ideas. Check out the first reference here to see how subtle the moving lines are and how gradual the development is.

Saving Grace
The issue is how the melodic content disrupts the flow. The moving lines should be slow and subtle here. he first 45 seconds of the cue are working well, but the addition of additional faster moving lines works against the idea of this listing. Simple and subtle are the keys here, particularly in regards to the motifs used throughout the cue.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time hearing how my cues are more disruptive than the ref tracks. Any specific advice on what to change to make these more desirable, please comment!
Alan

kjckjc
Active
Active

Post by kjckjc » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:09 pm

Beautiful!... Both seemed right in line with what they were looking for - to my "rookie" ears... Can I ask you a "tech" question?... Since I was trying to do this listing - and fell flat for several reasons. Do/Did you play everything "Live", and/or did you sequence/arpeggiate the piano tracks, or other sounds/samples?... Do/did you use any "loops?... I am trying to gain some insight as to: how to actually manipulate the technical "stuff" at my disposal - in Studio 1 - and other companies that offer these things (Cymatics, Waves, Touch Loops, Native Inst's, etc)... Like I have said - I do not have my full studio available ... yet... (meaning "Real" Instruments, Keyboards, etc)... I am only able to be 100% in the box at this time - and it is has been a huge learning curve for this old fart!! Thanks in advance for your input Alan...

I just listened to what WAS fwd'd for this listing (S240228MN), and I see it now - very little to No melodic development at all... Just 'soundscapes' ... Actually harder to accomplish than I would have first thought!... The fwd's Blog has proved very helpful in trying to hone in on these listings - for me...
..."To Play a Wrong Note is Insignificant... To Play Without Passion is Inexcusable"...
~ Ludwig Van Beethoven

https://www.taxi.com/members/kencrombie