We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

S240304HY hybrid underscore

Post by AlanHall » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:08 pm

here's the listing:

CONTEMPLATIVE HYBRID UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal and has tons of credits in Big Films, Countless TV Shows, and Commercials!
This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library's CEO gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples

Quoting the Company's CEO: "We're looking for intimate ambient underscores that gradually evolve as they progress. Your pieces should use organic sounds (such as felt pianos) on top of the ambient bed. and starting out on the 'smaller' side and evolving it into something bigger as it moves forward."
ADVICE DIRECTLY FROM the COMPANY's CEO: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas, and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures. What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!
Please submit well-crafted Underscore Instrumental Cues with a contemplative and reflective tone! Your submissions should have one clear central motif that gradually builds to create a sense of forward motion and interest. Instrumentation that blends organic and electronic Hybrid elements (guitar, synth pads, keys, light percussion, etc.), and is in the general stylistic ballpark of the references will work best. Please be sure that any virtual instrumentation you use is high-quality and realistic sounding.
All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, March 4th, 2024. TAXI # S240304HY

Short story long, I was scheduled for a business trip the second half of this week and stopped working on this listing. Trip just cancelled this morning, so back at it. This is a set of BASIC tracks: missing additional layers, ear candy, sweetening, mix, etc. Please have a listen and tell me if the orchestral instruments are out of place here (will try with a felt piano patch later), and your reaction to the overall form. Yes, it sounds like a REALLY LONG intro, but I expect to have some layers there to foreshadow the motif when it enters. Also, I chose vibes, clav, bass and drum kit to evoke a stage band as the acoustic/organic elements. Is that going to work here?

Close Your Eyes

Thanks!
Alan

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: S240304HY hybrid underscore

Post by deantaylor » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:08 pm

Hey Alan,
I'm out of my element here. That said: this seems like a good start and overall form and vibe seem to be in-line with what they want. Keep going!
Dean

AlonMarcus
Active
Active

Re: S240304HY hybrid underscore

Post by AlonMarcus » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:25 pm

Hello Alan, I think the concept will work, it's great. The orchestral instruments and the form are fine.
The strings don't sound natural and organic. I suppose you'll work it out, since you wrote the track is before mixing and sweetening. Good Luck!