Opinions on this Hybrid Underscore return? - Fixed Links

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tylersnow

Opinions on this Hybrid Underscore return? - Fixed Links

Post by tylersnow » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:20 pm

Hey everyone,

I just got the feedback for my submission to listing S240304HY, Hybrid Underscore. I respect their decision to return the track, but there is a part of me that is curious if others think it's worth reaching out for a second opinion. I was told the length should be closer to 2 minutes. My track was 2:17, and some of the references went around 3 minutes. The listing states it should be 2 minutes give or take, so I assumed 17 seconds was "give or take". The screener also stated that it was too repetitive, which it very well could be, I just don't think I'm much more repetitive than some of the references. Again, I'm not bitter about the return, but I want to try and realign my judgment to better serve me with future submissions.

My track:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/s4qqv1gs ... hx31g&dl=0

Here are the screener's comments:

What I like most about this song
I like the instrumentation, vibe and build up in this track. The vibe could match the listing request.

I think you could improve this song by
The intro could be a bit shorter and the percussion could use some compression. The length would also need to be closer to 2 minutes.

I returned or forwarded this song because
Could be less repetitive.

Here is the listing:

CONTEMPLATIVE HYBRID UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal and has tons of credits in Big Films, Countless TV Shows, and Commercials!

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library's CEO gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples

Quoting the Company's CEO: "We're looking for intimate ambient underscores that gradually evolve as they progress. Your pieces should use organic sounds (such as felt pianos) on top of the ambient bed. and starting out on the 'smaller' side and evolving it into something bigger as it moves forward."

ADVICE DIRECTLY FROM the COMPANY's CEO: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas, and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures. What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!

Please submit well-crafted Underscore Instrumental Cues with a contemplative and reflective tone! Your submissions should have one clear central motif that gradually builds to create a sense of forward motion and interest. Instrumentation that blends organic and electronic Hybrid elements (guitar, synth pads, keys, light percussion, etc.), and is in the general stylistic ballpark of the references will work best. Please be sure that any virtual instrumentation you use is high-quality and realistic sounding.

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

I appreciate any feedback you have to share
Last edited by tylersnow on Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Opinions on this Hybrid Underscore return?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:13 pm

Links not working for others. Search the forum for how to post succesfully

tylersnow

Re: Opinions on this Hybrid Underscore return?

Post by tylersnow » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:24 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I've updated the original post.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Opinions on this Hybrid Underscore return? - Fixed Links

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:15 pm

I think you've done a decent job of it , I would say the 2:17 Vs 2 min give or take is a bit petty but maybe because the screener thinks if you had kep the intro shorter it would have been closer.

No library is going to quibble about 17s though :shock:

The only thing I don't like about it is the main mallet sound...it comes across a little unpitched kinda sounding , so it feels a bit dissonant which makes the track come across more like a tension track rather than anything contemplative.

I think for that reason more than anything I wouldn't have forwarded it for this listing personally, but if it asked for organic tension then I think it would fit better.

Mark