WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

60s-Style MOTOWN/R&B SONGS

Post by WSAO » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:57 am

Hi guys, in doubt about the requirement here:
https://www.taxi.com/industry#listing-S240326WT
Lots of '60s-Style MOTOWN/R&B SONGS :
This Company is open to hearing both high-quality Vintage recordings (recorded back in the day), OR recently recorded Songs in the general production style of the references and other songs like them.
TAXI Tip: A good way to ensure you are on the right path with new renditions of Vintage music is to heavily rely on reference tracks while in the production process! The devil is in the details, and the more you nail in regards to what sounds authentic, the better chance you might have to get this company's attention!
The references are really "bad mixes" to today's standards, like the balance of some instruments and the general sound is really average, normal for that time.
So, should I try to do the same kind of mix or keep a bit more clean?
Thanks.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 60s-Style MOTOWN/R&B SONGS

Post by AlanHall » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:36 am

WSAO wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:57 am
The references are really "bad mixes" to today's standards, like the balance of some instruments and the general sound is really average, normal for that time.
So, should I try to do the same kind of mix or keep a bit more clean?
Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean specifically by "not clean". Microphone techniques, Recording track availability, outboard gear, etc. etc. all different from what we have today. Doesn't mean that the recordings are dirty or slipshod in their production. Motown had a 'sound', the same way Abbey Road is known to have a 'sound'. The artists and engineers were very intentional about the using the technology to produce the best quality output they could.

It seems pretty clear to me. Use your studio to emulate as well as you can the things that made this music great! They want:
high-quality Vintage recordings OR
[new stuff in the] general production style of the references and other songs like them.
[we need to] heavily rely on reference tracks while in the production process and
nail [it] in regards to what sounds authentic

WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: 60s-Style MOTOWN/R&B SONGS

Post by WSAO » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:33 pm

Thanks Allan,
if you listen some references on YT they are a bit more saturated than a traditional Motown from the 60s, but yes, I'll try (my best) to get that feeling.
Cheers