A.I. music. Should we be scared? Let's talk!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

A.I. music. Should we be scared? Let's talk!

Post by melodea » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:54 am

Hi good people!

I have been through different stages of emotions in the last month about AI-generated music which has reached an unbelievable level of quality in the last weeks or so. From scared to death to hopeful to numb and back.
I've reached out to different people, read articles, watched podcasts, and, yes, listened to a bunch of AI-generated music. Here are my main thoughts for now:

An interesting point from an article I read is that it’s true the output of an AI generator can’t be sued unless it’s noticeably stolen. That part will stay the same as it is for H.I. (human intelligence) music.
But they are discussing the input side! Is it legal to take copyrighted music to feed a machine for the purpose of replacing that copyrighted music? I think that’s an interesting
way to look at it and it's creating some hope for some kind of leverage against that massive abuse, that has taken place already.

https://www.abajournal.com/web/article/ ... f-it-legal

As I see it now, AI is here to stay, everybody agrees to this. AI will help composers and producers to create their music faster with more tools to accelerate time-consuming processes, everybody agrees to that. The "elephant in the room" are the AI tools that are and will replace composers and producers altogether. There are already communities in social media calling themselves „creators of AI music“! That use of the word creators makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up!!!

My feelings now are:
1. That there will always be (is) somebody working around laws (which will hopefully be established in the future) to save or gain money!

2. some of my hope lies in the fact that the input side (unlawful use of copyrighted material) of those AI generators will be looked at carefully and maybe will slow down the excessive flooding of the market with AI music.

3. It will have a huge impact on each composer and producer to take their fingers out of … you know… to be always a step ahead of AI music with more creative composing and producing so the label H.I. will become very significant. I think there is no AI generator (so far) that can create that emotional impact a human-created song can have. The one element that we will always (or at least for the next couple of decades) have over AI is emotions/feelings or better said the ability to implement that element in our work.

4. (same area as 3.) The times when we could get away with wallpaper music that sounds like the stuff found in large quantities in all libraries around the world by just combining splice and arcade loops or will come to an end. As I said emotions and feelings will become an even more important part of creating music!

5. I hope the good forces defending human creativity in all areas will come together and make the brand H.I a trademark that will also be used by all the serious TV and Movie creators, music libraries, and all the other players in that huge market.

Any thoughts?
Chris Moser
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: A.I. music. Should we be scared? Let's talk!

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:59 am

There's this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hdoIRcYJVA
Its coming and I can't stop it so I'll have to adapt or get out. That's my entire contribution to the discussion 8-).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:45 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:59 am
There's this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hdoIRcYJVA
Its coming and I can't stop it so I'll have to adapt or get out. That's my entire contribution to the discussion 8-).
This is a very cool video and I agree 100% but it‘s emphasizing the romantic part of it. What about all those folks who don’t give a blimp and just want to save or make money with it? I hope like he does lawmakers will protect HI music to make it still worth investing your life into this business!

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shoodBworkin » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:34 am

Is Udio really the best AI music generator yet?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/is ... r-BB1lpIrb

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:09 am

The Genie ain't going back in the bottle so might as well accept it's here.

I still think there are lots of hurdles both technical, musical and legal for AI music to get over before it can ever be used legitimately in production music and no broadcast organisation is going to risk using something that might get them sued.

It does however open up a bunch of cool new tools though that will elevate the the quality of the work we do and also make it faster to deliver that quality. Besides, we already have a bunch of assistive tools ( Band-In-A-Box, EZDrummer, EzKeys, EzBass , Ozone Mastering Assistant etc etc ) and they didn't ruin the industry.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:26 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:09 am
The Genie ain't going back in the bottle so might as well accept it's here.

I still think there are lots of hurdles both technical, musical and legal for AI music to get over before it can ever be used legitimately in production music and no broadcast organisation is going to risk using something that might get them sued.

It does however open up a bunch of cool new tools though that will elevate the the quality of the work we do and also make it faster to deliver that quality. Besides, we already have a bunch of assistive tools ( Band-In-A-Box, EZDrummer, EzKeys, EzBass , Ozone Mastering Assistant etc etc ) and they didn't ruin the industry.
These are good points Mark! Thanks for sharing.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:43 am

This is worth reading! That's the one approach that is very promising to protect the composers and producers!

https://www.ascap.com/news-events/artic ... ent=gaidca

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Cameloide » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:10 am

Yeah, I've been cycling through the same emotions as the OP. I think most of them, especially the best ones, like Suno, have already trained on data from Spotify, Apple Music, Youtube etc. without consent from the content creators. Their plan is probably to just get the most market share possible with products trained on legacy catalogs etc., and then when the Labels raise enough hell the AI companies (i.e. google) will just pay, what for them will be minuscule fines (as is common with Pharma giants), and they'll probably give the labels some equity (like Spotify) and then carry on displacing as many jobs as possible, while raking in the money.

deluxesound

Post by deluxesound » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:19 am

I agree with Cameloide, that is the strategy these companies SUNO and now UDIO are basing their profit corporate model on. I attended tech conference back in Feb. and one of the speakers said something very similar that the large tech corps. would drag out the legal battle over the use of copyrighted works without compensation or license so long that eventually the parties would settle. However, the hollywood writers and actors went on strike for this very thing and at least won to a degree so definitely food for thought on what is possible.
Eric H
Tiki Reef Music