Requesting feedback for song mix/production!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Requesting feedback for song mix/production!

Post by BrentI » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 pm

Hi all! I was hoping to get some advice on my mix and production of this song I co-wrote with Casey Hurowitz. It's not for a specific listing, so unfortunately I don't have any references. But generally I was aiming for something competitive with other modern singer-songwriter artists.

Here's a link to the song: https://on.soundcloud.com/9GaAd9mbeXknWvcMA

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Requesting feedback for song mix/production!

Post by AlanHall » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 pm

Hey Brent, solid composition. Congrats! You and Casey, proud parents :lol:

some "advice on my mix and production"? I can hear in my head cinematic percussion in the second half, the cracked cymbal stuck out at me. Seemed lonely. That's all I got.

WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by WSAO » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 pm

Beautiful song.
IMHO I would use less reverb in general.
Well done!

macomposer
Active
Active

Post by macomposer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:38 am

Beautiful!! Yeah, the guitars could be dried up just a bit. The cymbal sounds okay to me - doesn't stick out. Great tune!!! Congratulations to both you and Casey!

It strikes me as a very good 90s singer-songwriter guitar ballad. Now, just have to wait for that listing to show up!! :D

- Mark
Mark Anthony Chubb
https://www.taxi.com/my/artist
markanthonychubb.com

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:30 am

BrentI wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 pm
Hi all! I was hoping to get some advice on my mix and production of this song I co-wrote with Casey Hurowitz. It's not for a specific listing, so unfortunately I don't have any references. But generally I was aiming for something competitive with other modern singer-songwriter artists.

Here's a link to the song: https://on.soundcloud.com/9GaAd9mbeXknWvcMA
Great tune! At first I was thinking maybe more verb or delay on the vocal, but I now think it works just fine as is. The acoustic tones are great, good job micing up that guitar man.... (if it isn't micd? You sure have fooled me!) I guess I would agree with Alan that maybe a little more percussion later on in the choruses could be cool, but thats about all that I've got. The tambourine hit/cracked cymbal thing doesnt bother me though...
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:22 pm

Without looking at anyone else's feedback. Off the bat..

Not a fan of the guitar sound, it has some unpleasant resonances and I think the amount/type of reverb used is too much..comes across kinda dated to me. If you're aiming for modern singer/songwriter what do their acoustic guitars sound like?

Vocal - I like the voice generally but in sounds in a completely different space to the guitars so there is a disconnect. It's also a bit forward in the track so it feels like it's sitting on top rather than part of the track. There's few spots where the tuning feels a bit off or it might just be the way you are singing certain words ie.e around 57s ..I can't quite figure what the lyrics are. It sounds like " See Suns " but you turn them both into dipthongs and it catches the ear as not being quite right as they would probably sound more in tune if you just sang one note for each word.

At 1.34 if feels like things need to develop, and some fuller drums or percussion should enter but all we get is a very washed out sounding tambourine that's far in the distance. This doesn't help propel the song , it just kinda makes it sound more washed out and slower when I feel like it needs a solid rhythm.

I was happy to hear some low end enter the mix a little later into the track but I would welcomed it sooner - no later than 1.34 IMHO

Generally I get the vibe of a nice song, reasonably well sang but with a somewhat washed out dated kinda mix / production which leaves it somewhat below the broadcast quality bar for me. It's a pretty song though and I think with some work, a better mix and higher production values you could have something good.

Mark

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:55 pm

Hi I am the least talented here. That said I will chirp a bit. IMHO this should be a vocal dominant track. Itis not. The reverb is flying around everywhere. You have a sweet voice. That's it and good luck.
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:38 am

Hi, good job on getting a nice song together, but IMHO what you have so far is the demo. I have to agree with the comments of Feaker (the main point) and Cosmic (the detail). Good luck with it but it would be great to hear another recording.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:17 am

AlanHall wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 pm
Hey Brent, solid composition. Congrats! You and Casey, proud parents :lol:

some "advice on my mix and production"? I can hear in my head cinematic percussion in the second half, the cracked cymbal stuck out at me. Seemed lonely. That's all I got.
Hey Alan! Thanks for listening and commenting. I got several comments about more development/percussion. I'll work on it!

BrentI
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BrentI » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:18 am

WSAO wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 pm
Beautiful song.
IMHO I would use less reverb in general.
Well done!
Thanks for listening! Lots of comments about the reverb, so I'll tame that back.