Macbook Shopping

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pazmundial

Macbook Shopping

Post by pazmundial » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:47 am

Hi friends,

I'm looking to upgrade to a new Macbook, and wondering how best to balance cost vs power vs storage vs it still being usable in another 5 years. I'd love to have recommendations and thoughts from this community. I can probably spend $1500-$2000 without having to bite any bullets.

I have been getting by with a 2017 13" Macbook Air with 8GB of RAM, 128GB of storage, and an Intel i5processor. It runs Logic 10.7.x but can't upgrade to 10.8, and it can barely run Ozone 11 and can barely hold onto my instrument library.

Thanks!
Jeremy

mattbee
Active
Active

Re: Macbook Shopping

Post by mattbee » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:14 am

Hey Jeremy,

I upgraded my Macbook to an M1 Pro machine a couple of years ago, from a 2015 MacBook Pro. My new one has 32GB RAM (which silicon chips used differently so it gets more mileage than Intel chips), and 1TB HD. I've had very little issues, and since then they've went to M2, pro, max, etc, and the technology will move again before you know it...

I think with Macs the only big concern is ensuring you buy once cry once in regards to RAM, as it can't be upgraded like the old ones could. And more hard drive space, which tragically adds on another 1/3rd to the cost of the machine, but you'll want at least 1TB, which I have in addition to about 3 or 4 external hard drives and a decent docking station. It's funny, every time I buy them I think "this is IT! I'll NEVER need more storage than this" - hahaha how time always proves me to be....
I don't run into any issues in terms of processing power, although I'm not doing vast orchestral sessions with hundreds of virtual instruments, so it depends a little on what you're doing also.
I've also heard good things about the Mac Studio, although that may push your budget. You might be able to get some good mileage out of an Apple refurbished MacBook, and if you know any students/teachers that would be willing to make the purchase on your behalf then they can offer some decent discounts there too, to get you more bang for your buck.

Hope that helps!

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:07 pm

mattbee wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:14 am
Hey Jeremy,

I upgraded my Macbook to an M1 Pro machine a couple of years ago, from a 2015 MacBook Pro. My new one has 32GB RAM (which silicon chips used differently so it gets more mileage than Intel chips), and 1TB HD. I've had very little issues, and since then they've went to M2, pro, max, etc, and the technology will move again before you know it...

I think with Macs the only big concern is ensuring you buy once cry once in regards to RAM, as it can't be upgraded like the old ones could. And more hard drive space, which tragically adds on another 1/3rd to the cost of the machine, but you'll want at least 1TB, which I have in addition to about 3 or 4 external hard drives and a decent docking station. It's funny, every time I buy them I think "this is IT! I'll NEVER need more storage than this" - hahaha how time always proves me to be....
I don't run into any issues in terms of processing power, although I'm not doing vast orchestral sessions with hundreds of virtual instruments, so it depends a little on what you're doing also.
I've also heard good things about the Mac Studio, although that may push your budget. You might be able to get some good mileage out of an Apple refurbished MacBook, and if you know any students/teachers that would be willing to make the purchase on your behalf then they can offer some decent discounts there too, to get you more bang for your buck.

Hope that helps!
Good points here for sure..... IMHO you will be far better served buying an M1 or M2 machine with more RAM, at least 32 Gigs, and MAKE SURE you get at least a 1 TB drive.... Space goes very quickly, even if you are only using it for your applications. The best you can expect is 7 years nowadays before having to do this dance all over again! Best of luck
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

pazmundial

Post by pazmundial » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:58 am

Great advice, thanks to you both!

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 am

Oh, and do not skimp on the TB4 docking station....I have the RAZR one that I bought from Amazon, and it has worked flawlessly. I have also heard great things about the OWC dock as well... Expect to shell out 2-$300 for one..But it is crazy convenient to have ONE USB C cable connecting your Mac Book Pro (if you decide on that route) to your ENTIRE STUDIO, as well as keeping it charged, etc. I have 2 displays, 4 external SSD Drives, and a gazillion other MIDI control devices, and ILOK, etc etc plugged into the dock, and it is solid as a rock
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com