with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ShaunS
Active
Active

LFOs

Post by ShaunS » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:27 am

hi all.
I have what I am sure is a really dumb question, (and I apologize if that is the case but I'm sorry it's been nagging at me for while)
when using a digital synth, (like Mai Tai in studio One)
they often have multiple:
oscillators
LFOs
envlelopes.

We use these to shape and engineer the sound that we hear,
so, when we have multiples of any of these being used at the same time which do we hear - just one? both? - and if both how does that work, we hear both at the same time?
ShaunS

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: LFOs

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:27 am

Oscillators usually oscillate at frequencies that you can hear, so are largely responsible for the pitch of the sound you hear, and their wave shape affects the timbre of the sound. You can combine oscillators in unison (or slightly out of tune to get fatter sounds), or in intervals etc, and the sonic result depends on how you mix them. With too many oscillators everything starts to sounds like an organ :lol: .

You don't hear envelopes, but you do hear their effect other things. They can be basic attack, decay, sustain, release, or more complicated variations of the same thing. There's always an envelope assigned to the amplitude of the oscillators, but you might want a different envelope assigned to a filter for example. Having more than one gives you the option to assign different envelopes to different parameters.

As with envelopes, you don't hear LFOs (low frequency oscillators) because they oscillate below audible frequencies (usually), but you do hear their effect on other things. You can assign LFOs to various parameters to add interest to a sound, and like the main oscillators they can also have various wave shapes. For example, an LFO running at just a few hertz assigned to the frequency of your main oscillators gives a vibrato effect (as is introduced via the mod wheel). However, you might also want other LFOs, perhaps running at different frequencies, assigned to things like pan, amplitude, filters, phasers, etc, so having a few of them available gives you some flexibility.

Of course, all synths have different architectures and routing options, but the principles are much the same.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:16 pm

I don't know about you but I think LFOs are real. :lol:

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:20 am

Casey H wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:16 pm
I don't know about you but I think LFOs are real. :lol:
Yes, I believe some of them are from Casiopeia.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.