What happens to all the music with no forwards, no deals?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DougM

What happens to all the music with no forwards, no deals?

Post by DougM » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:03 pm

What to do with all that great unclaimed, unheard music?

Depending on the source, up to 120,000 new “releases” are published on global platforms DAILY. Pull up your calculator app. Competing against industry insiders, armies of “go-to” favored pro-writers, and if you make a deal maybe a payoff for a $100, $1,000 or maybe $10,000 if the stars align. Then, if collaborating, splitting income with co-writers, libraries, publishers, hired talent and finally state and federal taxes………….. Sadly, the math is tough to swallow. Uhhhhhh……

Congrats to those who are successful, love making music and earning income from your work. You are AMAZING and I salute you!

Sync is not my jam and I don’t create for listings. I write songs because it’s just good for my soul and I have story to tell. I’m not a pro and glad I have a day job! But my songs have a good hook (IMO) but rarely fit a listing. I’m fully aware that my work will likely never be heard by anyone other than in my circles. My fantasy would be to have an actual artist, hear it, love it and record it – same for many of us. But, like I said, I’m a realist about what I’m good and not good at which I’m fine with. I have many other wonderful things to make me appreciate this life.

OK, so this was a little music therapy for me. Thanks for reading!

So, if no forwards or deals, what are the best options for getting our music out there to those who may enjoy it with or without expecting any monetary payback? Anyone ready to start their own record label? 😊

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What happens to all the music with no forwards, no deals?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:26 am

What happens to it?

Nothing. You're probably writing music for an audience of one. Even Spotify are deleting music that nobody listens to.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 am

DougM wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:03 pm
I write songs because it’s just good for my soul and I have story to tell.
Without knowing what kind of music you write, your testimony suggests to me a fit in the local coffeehouse scene. Best chance to be heard by the people that matter most - those who do not have a stake in your happiness and success. If they like your music, you can be sure it is sincere. MHO

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:55 am

Delete it.

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:08 pm

Hopefully it is used to train AI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:12 pm

SubRivers wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:08 pm
Hopefully it is used to train AI.
Hahaha

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:26 pm

DougM wrote:
Sync is not my jam and I don’t create for listings.
Well obviously, Taxi is not for you. Taxi listings are 80-90% for sync and it's hard to get forwards and deals without writing to listings (other than occasionally having the right song lying around). It sounds like you figured this out already.
DougM wrote:
So, if no forwards or deals, what are the best options for getting our music out there to those who may enjoy it with or without expecting any monetary payback? Anyone ready to start their own record label? 😊
I agree with Alan that local gigs, coffee houses, etc. would be the way to go. Play your songs for the pure joy of it without caring if you make money on them. It's good to know what you want, what your goals are, etc. Not everyone is seeking the same thing. Good luck! :D

Casey

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm

DougM wrote:
So...what are the best options for getting our music out there to those who may enjoy it with or without expecting any monetary payback? 😊
Well there are a few avenues you could check out that don't cost you anything:

1) Start your own YouTube channel to get your music out to the global public -
figure out what your 'brand' is - if it's more than just your name as the singer/songwriter/artist.

2) There's also the free Soundcloud account (up to 3 hours of music files, I think) - say about 50 tracks to go public.

3) Then there's Bandcamp - where you can put your material out there, set your own price, etc.
They'll take about 25%, but 75% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Good luck finding what works for you.
Hope that helps, Cheers.
Peter
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

jakewil

Post by jakewil » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 pm

Don't forget about stock music libraries. Not as much money potential as sync, and you may never know where your music is being used, but it's fun and I've had some success with libraries like Pond 5. Good luck!

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:36 pm

DougM wrote:
For context, I've gotten some forwards (even one this week), but no deals to date. I've done a fair amount of writing and recording, or just recording in the case of cover tunes, to target the listings -- I find that can help in overcoming blank slate syndrome, and some of the songs I've gotten the most mileage out of in other areas were initially written to target listings. Some of those targets have been for sync, while others have been for producers/publishers/A&R looking for songs for other artists. The latter is actually more where I'm at, but a tough nut to crack. I had a number of single song deals out in Nashville back in the early 2000s, but not a single one got a cut, and the songs all reverted to me after a couple of years. I've also gotten a number of indie cuts on my own, and even had a few local hits (e.g. top 5 for radio and video play in Mongolia back in the early 2000s, and the most played song of the year on a country radio program in one town in Norway), but none that made any significant money (though they did at least pay a little).

So, what to do with the TAXI rejects? Well, for me, the answer is to get them out there whatever way makes sense for you and the specific song/recording.

If you're out there performing live, be it at open mics, paid gigs, or whatever, performing the songs is one obvious possibility. When I do 3-4 hour cover gigs, I usually slip in about 20% originals. Of course, how well that works for you will depend heavily on the caliber of your songs -- they can't stand out in a bad way from whatever you're playing of more well-known songs. BTW, this can put some money in your pocket from your PRO, too -- most of my ASCAP royalties are from my live performances (via the ASCAP OnStage program), not from broadcast and streaming (though I do get money from those, too). If you are playing live, even just at open mics, you can always video your performances and get them out there on your YouTube channel. I've got a playlist of live performances of original songs at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... IUC9iOxR_U, and most of those were videoed at open mics or songwriter showcases.

It's easy enough these days to put your recordings out on the various streaming and download sites, too. (You have effectively started your own record label if you do this.) My latest single, a cover of ColdPlay's "Fix You", was initially recorded, and rejected, for a listing looking for "SINGER/SONGWRITER-Style COVER VERSIONS of MODERN POP/ALT SONGS". My submission received positive feedback, but was returned due to mix balance, and it also suggested adding some synths to what had been a piano/vocal production (which ALL the references were, as well, thus my going that direction). So, after the return, I added some synth pads and made mix improvements, then put the resulting recording out to the various music services (I use Soundrop for cover songs these days since CD Baby stopped dealing with cover song licensing a few years back). In fact, my most streamed song on Spotify (I'm at https://open.spotify.com/artist/0EMB65G ... Y4iEYMPkhQ) started as a TAXI reject. They were looking for reimagined covers of "Time is on My Side" for something or other, so I made one. It got returned. A few years later, a music licensing agent found it and approached me about pitching it for an opportunity. He did, but it didn't get picked. Overall, I've got upwards of 100 songs out there, mostly originals, but also some covers. Most of the covers started out targeting a TAXI pitch. While probably not even half of my original songs that are out there did, there are also a fair number that I did initially write for TAXI listings, including 4 of the 12 songs on my most recent album.

Of course, just putting the songs out there for streaming doesn't necessarily mean anyone will listen -- I've only got 34 followers on Spotify and, currently, 52 monthly listeners, which translates to a bit over 100 streams. While I do plug new releases on my social media (mostly Facebook, but also Instagram), I can't say I notice much coming from there. Interestingly, I tend to see the rises in my Spotify followers come after doing original songs on the live front. And, yes, I do mention the recordings of the songs I play being out there.

I know some people like SoundCloud, but I've never really experienced anything but spam on that platform, so I don't put much on there, nor do I publicize my being there.

If you're putting your music out there in some way, you can always share it on social media. I mean we make music for people to hear, right? Whether or not it ends up making us any money. Some portion of your friends/followers will actually check your music out ... sometimes. If they really like it, they might even share it with others.

As for TAXI returns, there's always feedback with those. That can be input to improve the results before putting revised recordings (and revised songs, if applicable) out into the world. We may be creating music because we've got something to say, but that doesn't mean we can't get tips to help others receive it better from our rejections. When I get a TAXI forward, I typically wait a few months, and, if there's no communication from it, I'll put my recording out there in whatever way might make sense for the song in question.

There are also other places to try and get sync, and, other placements. I've used SongTradr for this (my profile there is https://www.songtradr.com/rick.paul). While I haven't gotten any sync placements from them, I have gotten a few in-store music placements that paid a little (and from songs/recordings that were returned by TAXI). But there are various other services out there that also provide sync opportunities, and I'm aware of some songwriter friends who've gotten some minor placements that way.

Back in Myspace days, I put a quote on my profile that said, "a song is a terrible thing to waste." It was a play on a 60's (I think) era commercial that said, "a mind is a terrible thing to waste." I meant it two ways. First, if you're going to bother writing a song, it's worth putting in the effort to make that song as good as you can make it. (I don't subscribe to the idea of throwaway songs, like you need to write 100 songs to get one good one.) But second, once you've written a song, it does nobody any good to let it sit on the shelf; it's time to get it out into the world in whatever ways you can. What that means will partly depend on what you do, what avenues are available to you, and the nature of the song and what uses it might lend itself to. But it's also partly a matter of how much work you're willing to do, and how creative you might get, in finding fits.