Requesting feedback for EDM track (first custom-made submission!)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hubert

Requesting feedback for EDM track (first custom-made submission!)

Post by hubert » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:55 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm working on my first custom-made submission for Taxi, exciting! I submitted two cues for other listings before, but it was tracks I already had and that seemed close to what the listings asked for (they were both returned, for valid reasons).

So this one is the first one I am writing specifically for a listing, which is what I'll be doing moving forward (I've been producing music for many years, but just starting to venture in the sync world)

Here is the listing:
Lots of FEEL-GOOD EDM/HOUSE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by the CEO of an internationally distributed Music Licensing Company that's recently landed some really high-end placements for TAXI members.

This company's CEO is looking for quite a few Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of the examples below:

"Crossroads" by David Bulla
"Let’s Go Home" by Eklo (Erlando Remix)
"Younger" by Seinabo Sey (Kygo Remix)

Although some of the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only. Vocal FX/chops are ok.

Please submit well-crafted EDM/House Instrumental Cues full of uplifting, positive energy! Your submissions should have catchy, feel-good motifs, grooving rhythms, and dynamic arrangements with plenty of forward motion throughout. Modern EDM instrumentation and production that's in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the reference tracks will work best. Please be sure your productions and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high quality and not dated-sounding.

Your submissions should be about 1.5 to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.
Here is the track:
https://www.taxi.com/members/cezSk9GdRw ... eling-good (edit: new link)

Any feedback would be welcome. I've been trying to pay attention to every single detail, but I lack experience in the sync world and I'm bound to have missed something. I'm particularly wondering about the ending: is this a suitable buttoned/stinger?

Many thanks!
Last edited by hubert on Wed May 01, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayJayStudios
Active
Active

Re: Requesting feedback for EDM track (first custom-made submission!)

Post by JayJayStudios » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:33 pm

Hey mate,

the link doesn't work for people outside of your profile being logged in.

Check that you have the following:

1. set your profile to public
2. copied the official share link for the track

then we can give you some feedback ;)

hubert

Post by hubert » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:16 pm

Oops, sorry about that. I've now made my profile public and double-checked that the track was accessible to all. Thanks for spotting this!

Here is the link again: https://www.taxi.com/members/cezSk9GdRw ... eling-good (edit: new link)
Last edited by hubert on Wed May 01, 2024 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuanMacias
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by JuanMacias » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:45 pm

Hey Hubert

I think you did a good job and the track is very close for what the listing is requesting.
My only suggestion would be to make the edit point a little bit longer at 1:34. i think you could leave a 1 bar rest so it would sound more natural.
Also; you could try to end the melody at the end of the track in the note Bb instead of D so it would sound more buttoned/stinger.
But other than that i think you nailed it.

Juan

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:17 pm

Nice job, certainly a good piece of library music

My only nits are :

1. it feels a tad sluggish - I think a 2 - 3 bpm speed increase would feel better, hopefully everything is midi so you can try that easily? If not I'd leave it as is.

2. Around 1.22 it sounds there is a sour note.

3. Mix wise I think it needs more of that pumping / sidechain sound used in EDM

Other than that I like it - good track

hubert

Post by hubert » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:13 pm

Thanks a lot for the feedback, really appreciated!
My only suggestion would be to make the edit point a little bit longer at 1:34. i think you could leave a 1 bar rest so it would sound more natural.
Also; you could try to end the melody at the end of the track in the note Bb instead of D so it would sound more buttoned/stinger.
Juan, you're totally right, making the edit point a bit longer is a great idea. I will also try out your suggestion to end of the melody on a Bb.
1. it feels a tad sluggish - I think a 2 - 3 bpm speed increase would feel better, hopefully everything is midi so you can try that easily? If not I'd leave it as is.

2. Around 1.22 it sounds there is a sour note.

3. Mix wise I think it needs more of that pumping / sidechain sound used in EDM
1. You're right, it can probably do with a bit more BPMs. I'll give it a try (and it might even help at making it right under 2 minutes long!) Ironically it used to be even slower as I based the tempo on one of the reference tracks (the slowest of the 3). I ended up raising it by a couple of BPMs, but yeah, it can do with some extra.

2. I'll check the sour note. Thanks for spotting that!

3. Ah, good point. I have a pad sidechained to the kick drum, but I might try setting up a bus with more instruments being sidechained.

Again, thanks a lot, super useful!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 pm

hubert wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:13 pm

3. Ah, good point. I have a pad sidechained to the kick drum, but I might try setting up a bus with more instruments being sidechained.
Try sidechaining everything that's not drums. Easiest to feed all the music to a buss, and all the drums to another and just do it that way.

hubert

Post by hubert » Wed May 01, 2024 3:01 pm

Just a quick update to mention that the track was forwarded! Thanks again everyone for your input, it's been essential in crafting the best possible track for the listing.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu May 02, 2024 12:32 am

hubert wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:01 pm
Just a quick update to mention that the track was forwarded! Thanks again everyone for your input, it's been essential in crafting the best possible track for the listing.
Congrats !