S240513ST Monsters and Beasts

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

S240513ST Monsters and Beasts

Post by AlanHall » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:54 am

Twice in the listing it asks for songs that "fit the lyrical themes mentioned above".

If "We need Songs about monsters or beasts" is a lyrical theme, I'm confused. Has anyone interested in this listing contacted Taxi for clarification? I will, but don't want to add to the noise if Taxi has already shared more info on this listing. Bueller?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: S240513ST Monsters and Beasts

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:10 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:54 am
Twice in the listing it asks for songs that "fit the lyrical themes mentioned above".

If "We need Songs about monsters or beasts" is a lyrical theme, I'm confused. Has anyone interested in this listing contacted Taxi for clarification? I will, but don't want to add to the noise if Taxi has already shared more info on this listing. Bueller?
Hey Alan
I'm not sure I get the confusion. They wants a song, any genre or style, which has lyrics about monsters or beasts. What is bothering you? They didn't give references because of what I said there. Do you have specific questions?

https://www.taxi.com/industry#listing-S240513ST

Best,
:D Casey

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:03 pm

Hey Casey, thanks for stepping in! I appreciate all of your comments.

My confusion stems from the misunderstanding that I have about the phrase "lyrical themes" (disclaimer: I am not a professional songwriter :o ).

I imagined "themes" in lyrics to refer to ideas such as desire or loss, etc., rather than a thing such as in this case, monsters and beasts. What I thought I'd read in the listing was "give us songs about alienation (or fear, or miscommunication, or...) using monsters to drive the metaphor along. But what I read is "songs about monsters". So what about monsters? Are they in love? Rampaging through a metropolis? I simply feel that for the listing, there's some essential info that's missing.

As an example, say a country listing wants songs "about a girl". Romantic? Unrequited love? Breakup? I really hope the client requesting the music knows what they want, otherwise they'll ask for and receive songs that are vague and will only have a marginal connection to the need. Am I just showing off my noobish-ness here to think that a listing with no mood keywords, and no emotional direction is incomplete?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 am

Hey Alan
I think you're overthinking it. There have been tons of songs about monsters over the years. Google "Songs about monsters" and you'll get lots of ideas. I wouldn't make the story line TOO specific or involved, as with many Film/TV songs, too much detail doesn't work. Especially important is the chorus.

Off the top of my head, random chorus theme: "Surrounded by monsters, can't get away from these monsters... Every where I turn there are monsters... Big ugly faces... Breathing down upon me... Can't get away from the beasts" (Did that on no sleep, 2nd cuppa joe, grain of salt).

If you come up with the music, I'd be happy to try to co-write lyrics. It has to have a really hooky chorus melody to work.

Best,
:D Casey

macomposer
Active
Active

Post by macomposer » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:40 am

Casey H wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 am

Off the top of my head, random chorus theme: "Surrounded by monsters, can't get away from these monsters... Every where I turn there are monsters... Big ugly faces... Breathing down upon me... Can't get away from the beasts" (Did that on no sleep, 2nd cuppa joe, grain of salt).
:o Man knows his craft! Amazing!

- Mark
Mark Anthony Chubb
https://www.taxi.com/my/artist
markanthonychubb.com

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:51 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 am
Hey Alan
I think you're overthinking it.
You Bet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just randomly picked up an issue of Nat Geo and there was an article about a region in Slovenia where each village has a spring festival where partygoers are treated to monsters: 'good ones' that bring gifts, and 'ugly ones' that scare away Winter from the land. Thought I'd pass that along ;)