Cue and instrumental length

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hubert

Cue and instrumental length

Post by hubert » Sat May 04, 2024 4:34 pm

Hey everyone,

Yet another question about cues vs instrumentals :D (and yes, I took the time to read all the QA threads on the subject).

I'm working on a couple of tracks for a listing that asks for the usual 1min30 for cues and 2 to 4 mins for instrumentals.

One of my track is currently just over 2 minutes, which would qualify as an instrumental, but it doesn't have the verse/chorus form. It's more of an A/B/B type of structure.

So my question is: do instrumentals need to stick to verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus form, or does anything that's over 2 minutes qualify as an instrumental?

Thank you!
Last edited by hubert on Sat May 04, 2024 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Cue and instrumental length

Post by AlanHall » Sat May 04, 2024 6:55 pm

I've wondered this myself for some time, as most tutorials and videos concentrate on the 90-second cue forms. I'm posting in order to get notifications and follow this thread. Thanks for starting it!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat May 04, 2024 7:29 pm

hubert wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 4:34 pm
Hey everyone,

Yet another question about cues vs instrumentals :D (and yes, I took the time to read all the QA threads on the subject).

I'm working on a couple of tracks for a listing that asks for the usual 1min30 for cues and 2 to 4 mins for instrumentals.

One of my track is currently just over 2 minutes, which would qualify as an instrumental, but it doesn't have the verse/chorus form. It's more of an A/B/B type of structure.

So my question is: do instrumentals need to stick to verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus form, or does anything that's over 2 minutes qualify as an instrumental?

Thank you!
While there can be gray areas, generally, instrumentals of 2 to 4 minutes would have "song form" with verse/chorus/(possibly a bridge) structure. I would say your tracks would fall into the cue category. I would shorten down to the max time asked for and submit as a cue.

HTH
:D Casey

hubert

Post by hubert » Mon May 06, 2024 6:50 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:29 pm

While there can be gray areas, generally, instrumentals of 2 to 4 minutes would have "song form" with verse/chorus/(possibly a bridge) structure. I would say your tracks would fall into the cue category. I would shorten down to the max time asked for and submit as a cue.
Ok thank you, that makes sense. I think I will shorten it down to play it safe, then.