Is This Music Organization Holding Your Money?

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TAXILIZ
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Is This Music Organization Holding Your Money?

Post by TAXILIZ » Fri May 10, 2024 4:30 pm

Do You Have Money Sitting in This Organization's Bank Account? This Week on TAXI TV!

Click the link below to watch LIVE on Monday at 4 PM Pacific!

https://youtube.com/live/X_fKzNJZeiU

7 pm Eastern (EDT) / 6 pm Central (CDT) / 4 pm Pacific (PDT) 12am London (BST) / 9am Sydney (AEST)

Dear Songwriters, Composers, Artists, and Producers,

Frankly, I just can’t seem to wrap my head around what the MLC (Music Licensing Collective) does. I think I’m reasonably intelligent, but that’s just my opinion and I’m biased ;-) But, every time I hear what the MLC does and who might have money coming to them, I understand it in the moment, then can’t remember the complexities an hour later.

Michael Eames is VERY involved with the MLC and explains it better than anybody I know. He’s also one of the smartest people I’ve ever met in our industry. Really! When he tells me how important the work the MLC is doing, I believe him.

If you want to understand what it does, and if there’s any money owed to you sitting in their bank account, do NOT miss this episode of TAXI TV! I think there’s a window in which you have to claim it, but as I said, I could be wrong ;-)

Win an AWESOME Book!

Michael is also the co-author of this must-have book, and we’re going to give one away during the show!

At a time when artists are independently releasing their own music and acting as their own self-publishers, there has never been a greater need for a simple and easy-to-read introduction to the business and creative aspects of music publishing for musicians.

Written by two musicians and industry pros with decades of experience, Introduction to Music Publishing For Musicians is organized into seven clearly written sections that will help musicians save time and avoid getting screwed. Topics include the basics of copyrights, types of publishing income, publishing companies and types of deals, creative matters of music publishing, and things you need to know about music publishing’s future.

The book features:
Short digestible chapters written in a conversational tone to keep artists focused
Section-by-section FAQs that expand on key issues that musicians encounter today
Boxed text stories featuring current events to emphasize key concepts
Interviews with top beat makers, collaborators, and more to provide secrets of success
A glossary to help you keep track of important publishing terms
Publishing resources offering to help you place and promote your music
Chapter quizzes and activity assignments to help measure your knowledge
Bobby Borg and Michael Eames have created a compact, simple and easy-to-read overview of today’s music publishing industry that caters to both students and musicians (songwriters, producers, beat makers, and more) who want quick, up-to-date, credible, and relatable information so that they can get back to doing what they like best: creating music!
See you Monday for what promises to be an empowering episode for musicians of all types!

Click the link below to watch LIVE on Monday at 4 PM Pacific!

https://youtube.com/live/X_fKzNJZeiU

To Join the Live Chat During the Broadcast…
You’ll need to be signed up to YouTube (FREE) and be logged in to be able to join in on the chat during the show. Go to youtube.com and click the "Sign In" link in the upper right-hand corner of the page and fill out the short form to join. If you have a Gmail account, you’ll be able to associate your YouTube account with it!

7 pm Eastern (EDT) / 6 pm Central (CDT) / 4 pm Pacific (PDT) 12am London (BST) / 9am Sydney (AEST)

See you on the show,
Michael

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Is This Music Organization Holding Your Money?

Post by Casey H » Fri May 10, 2024 5:25 pm

TAXILIZ wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 4:30 pm
Frankly, I just can’t seem to wrap my head around what the MLC (Music Licensing Collective) does. I think I’m reasonably intelligent, but that’s just my opinion and I’m biased ;-) But, every time I hear what the MLC does and who might have money coming to them, I understand it in the moment, then can’t remember the complexities an hour later.
Same here!! I need to be listening on Monday! :D I can never figure out if I should spend time uploading tracks to these folks. As far as I can tell, since I'm a songwriter, not the artist performing the songs, there would not be money for me. It will be great to get clarification on that as well as everything about the MLC.

Thanks, Michael, in advance for doing this!
:) Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Is This Music Organization Holding Your Money?

Post by Casey H » Tue May 14, 2024 4:39 am

That was one of the best and most informative Taxi TV shows I've seen. :D Michael Eames was amazing at explaining a ridiculously complex subject in clear terms. I understand so much more about MLC and streaming royalties than I ever did. Even if, based on my particular catalog and situation, MLC is not for me, at least I know what it's all about. For example, I never before understood why I see streaming royalties on my ASCAP statements when that's not conventional Film/TV broadcasts.

If you missed the show, I highly recommend watching on the channel.

Just a note as well. If your songs are signed with libraries, you should check if they collect from MLC before registering a song with MLC. For example, aud*****rx, does.

PS Please don't direct question to ME here as I still have a lot to learn. And definitely don't ask questions if you haven't watched the show first.

Thanks ML for the show!

:D Casey