Sync fee?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Sync fee?

Post by Anders » Thu May 16, 2024 5:11 am

Hi,

What are typical circumstances for when a ”Sync fee” would be paid?
I have had quite a few placements but never any sync fees, only royalties.

Grateful for any insights, thanks!

/Anders

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sync fee?

Post by eeoo » Thu May 16, 2024 8:22 am

I've only ever gotten upfront sync money for vocal songs. Also, I think it depends on the publisher's business model, some only license if there's upfront money, some use blanket deals and others anything and everything and nothing at all so I've heard.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu May 16, 2024 11:00 am

Like eeoo, I've only gotten sync fees on vocal songs and with specific libraries. A lot of library placements don't pay anything upfront. But if it's on a good time of day and the right network, the back end is nice. It's very difficult to get upfront money on instrumental cues. There are millions out there to chose from and many deals between the library and the TV production company are blanket deals whereby the client pays one fee for access to the entire library. Most libraries don't share a portion of these fees with the composers and even if they did, they amount we would get would be fairly small. Of course, we should get something, even if small, but the libraries generally don't share. One Taxi friendly library does.

Best,
:D Casey

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Fri May 17, 2024 10:58 am

Casey H wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 11:00 am
Like eeoo, I've only gotten sync fees on vocal songs and with specific libraries. A lot of library placements don't pay anything upfront. But if it's on a good time of day and the right network, the back end is nice. It's very difficult to get upfront money on instrumental cues. There are millions out there to chose from and many deals between the library and the TV production company are blanket deals whereby the client pays one fee for access to the entire library. Most libraries don't share a portion of these fees with the composers and even if they did, they amount we would get would be fairly small. Of course, we should get something, even if small, but the libraries generally don't share. One Taxi friendly library does.

Best,
:D Casey
Interesting...... Now my understanding is that cover songs pay ZERO backend royalties, because there is already an existing writer??? Are cover songs, cover epic movie trailers.etc ALL just an upfront sync fee?
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Fri May 17, 2024 11:05 am

BradleyHagen wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:58 am
Interesting...... Now my understanding is that cover songs pay ZERO backend royalties, because there is already an existing writer??? Are cover songs, cover epic movie trailers.etc ALL just an upfront sync fee?
Yes

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri May 17, 2024 11:36 am

eeoo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 11:05 am
BradleyHagen wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:58 am
Yes
Yes, but a cover song placement will generally have an upfront sync fee.

Anders
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Anders » Tue May 21, 2024 1:07 pm

Thank you eeoo and Casey H!

I had a vocal track used as background for announcements of upcoming shows on a German channel (it showed up on my Tunesat at 15 different spots).
I guess I would have known beforehand if there would have been a sync fee for that?
Most libraries don't share a portion of these fees with the composers and even if they did, they amount we would get would be fairly small.
Yes, I received a long spread sheet from one library where most tracks earned around 0,015$ which was ”pieces of blanket licenses”. I don't know how the calculation was made.

/Anders