They bounced this track back on the Monsters and beasts listing

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

joesarahh

They bounced this track back on the Monsters and beasts listing

Post by joesarahh » Fri May 17, 2024 3:08 pm

I admit, I am a tad befuddled. I don't quite get it. Maybe I just misunderstood the listing. They bounced this track for a dull melody. I'm not so sure I agree, but more importantly, is this melody not the very definition of late 70's hard rock? The listed did ask for the songs to be consistant with their genera, what did I miss?

https://soundcloud.com/joesarahh/im-a-m ... al_sharing

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: They bounced this track back on the Monsters and beasts listing

Post by Casey H » Fri May 17, 2024 3:19 pm

Cool track. The listing said:
Submissions should have well-thought-out melodies, memorable choruses, dynamic rhythms, and solid arrangements.
This song is a bit repetitive and doesn't have much melodic variation or a memorable chorus. My impression is that for this listing, regardless of genre, you needed a more conventional verse/chorus structure with a great chorus that separates itself from the verse.

It's still cool and might be one for a different listing.

Best,
:D Casey

joesarahh

Post by joesarahh » Fri May 17, 2024 3:31 pm

Yes, I will pitch it elsewhere, they loved my vocals, loved my lyrics and liked the chorus very much, but they agree, the melody is a bit drab, which I knew, but I was trying to be consistent with the genera. I was offering a "well thought out melody by being consistent in the genera. I guess I interpreted the listings language incorrectly.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Fri May 17, 2024 3:40 pm

Love the vocal man, well done! Overall it's not gelling as a mix to my ear, doesn't sound like the band is in the same room, so to speak. This kind of tune needs to sound like a band playing together, maybe try sending everyone to a bus with a room verb and adjust to taste? Also sending everyone through a bus compressor could help. And i think it could use some dirt, compression/distortion kind of vibe. I think overall needs more dirt and grease and cohesion, less separation between parts etc.

Good luck, cool tune!

joesarahh

Post by joesarahh » Fri May 17, 2024 3:54 pm

The mix I have posted here was not the mix sent to the reviewer. That mix is hosted on Taxi and as I am sure you know, those links are notorious for not working in the forums. The mix on Soundcloud was just a working mix but it illustrated the melody. But thanks for the reply!

Yajhil

Post by Yajhil » Fri May 17, 2024 7:29 pm

Hi there! I actually enjoyed it but I have to agree that it is repetitive. Honestly, I feel like that could be remedied by making the song a bit shorter and just re-thinking where to put certain parts so you're not saying I'm a monster so many times in such close proximity. But yeah fantastic vocals and I did enjoy the melody. I'm new here and I actually have a song called "The Beast" and I saw the listing but realized cursing is not allowed and I was too lazy to change that lol. If you don't mind, can I just ask you a quick question? What do you mean by bounced? Do they actually tell you when things are rejected? I submitted like 6 songs and so far I haven't heard anything. Just curious.
Just a guy making demos hoping someone else will polish and perform them!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat May 18, 2024 5:32 am

Just to add, you will get an email when the forward or return decision it made, with a link to the critique from the screener as to why it was forwarded or returned. Check now and then that nothing from Taxi is going to a spam folder. This process can take anywhere from a few days to around 5 weeks from the day the listing closes, with around 3 weeks being the average (in my own experience).

:D Casey
Telefunkin wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:31 am
Yajhil wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 7:29 pm
Do they actually tell you when things are rejected? I submitted like 6 songs and so far I haven't heard anything. Just curious.
As part of the screening process Taxi will inform you whether your submissions were 'forwarded' to the library that requested the listing, or 'returned' if the screener didn't think they were appropriate for some reason. If tracks are 'forwarded' and the library is interested they'll get in touch with you and most likely offer you a contract for those tracks. If they are not interested (for whatever reason) you probably won't hear anything further from them, and until tracks are under contract they remain yours to do with as you wish.

Yajhil

Post by Yajhil » Sat May 18, 2024 2:28 pm

Thanks Casey and Tele. That's a really good thing to know. Makes me look forward to either getting passed on or not because at least I will know why! And sorry Jose, I didn't mean to hi-jack. I just didn't see that info anywhere and since you mentioned it I wanted to know more.
Just a guy making demos hoping someone else will polish and perform them!

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sat May 18, 2024 6:16 pm

Yajhil wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 2:28 pm
Thanks Casey and Tele. That's a really good thing to know. Makes me look forward to either getting passed on or not because at least I will know why!
and to add: on your member page there's a link to "Feedback on Past Submissions" in case you didn't get a notification email for whatever reason.