The F word

Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Post Reply
User avatar
WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:31 am
Gender: Male
Location: Sydney - Australia
Contact:

The F word

Post by WSAO » Sun May 19, 2024 1:12 am

Hi folks,

Have any of you ever included the "F" word in your lyrics for Taxi submissions, and if so, was it ever forwarded?
Or is it completely forbidden to use it?

User avatar
cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Posts: 4554
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: The F word

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun May 19, 2024 1:16 am

WSAO wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 1:12 am
Or is it completely forbidden to use it?
Profanity will rule a song out out of many licensing opportunites so best to make clean version at the same time

User avatar
Casey H
King of the World
King of the World
Posts: 14300
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: The F word

Post by Casey H » Sun May 19, 2024 5:40 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 1:16 am
WSAO wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 1:12 am
Or is it completely forbidden to use it?
Profanity will rule a song out out of many licensing opportunities so best to make clean version at the same time
+1
I would advise against it for sync. Almost always, you can change a line in a song without affecting it's sync-worthiness. If you have to do it, make sure if you submit to Taxi, to put "Clean version available" at top of the lyrics.

I have a song in C******l called "To Hell And Back". Even on that one, I had to provide a clean version whereby the word "hell" is muted. So even words like "hell" and "damn" can be an issue. It makes sense as it limits what a library can pitch a song for. Hard to believe in today's world to some, but think about national ads, Disney movies, etc.

Even in the rap genre, in which profanity is very common, you'll see a lot of artists release a clean version to have the song played in places they wouldn't otherwise be able to.

Best,
:D Casey

User avatar
WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:31 am
Gender: Male
Location: Sydney - Australia
Contact:

Re: The F word

Post by WSAO » Tue May 21, 2024 5:33 pm

Thanks for the tips guys!
I'll ask the singer to change the lyrics, as the same song has the words, hell, fuck and damn!!!
Cheers!

User avatar
funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro
Posts: 7253
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:18 am
Gender: Male
Location: So Cal
Contact:

Re: The F word

Post by funsongs » Tue May 21, 2024 5:49 pm

Just a thought - might y'all consider it an artistic challenge to be more creative with your word/lyric choices,
to the ends that you may appeal to, and share the message of your song with, a wider audience?
- without using vulgar and profane language for sensationalism and/or shock-value?

There might be some who prefer to "not use their ears as garbage cans" - as I heard someone once say.
:? 8-) :roll: :)

Most listings will include instructions to avoid using offensive languages, depending on the clients' need and target.
Good luck with all of that.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

User avatar
Casey H
King of the World
King of the World
Posts: 14300
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: The F word

Post by Casey H » Tue May 21, 2024 6:03 pm

WSAO wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:33 pm
Thanks for the tips guys!
I'll ask the singer to change the lyrics, as the same song has the words, hell, fuck and damn!!!
Cheers!
Oh shit! :lol:

User avatar
WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:31 am
Gender: Male
Location: Sydney - Australia
Contact:

Re: The F word

Post by WSAO » Tue May 21, 2024 6:32 pm

funsongs wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:49 pm
Just a thought - might y'all consider it an artistic challenge to be more creative with your word/lyric choices,
to the ends that you may appeal to, and share the message of your song with, a wider audience?
- without using vulgar and profane language for sensationalism and/or shock-value?

There might be some who prefer to "not use their ears as garbage cans" - as I heard someone once say.
:? 8-) :roll: :)

Most listings will include instructions to avoid using offensive languages, depending on the clients' need and target.
Good luck with all of that.
Hi Peter, understand and agree, for this kind of business we must be careful, but lots of reference songs has "dirty" words, mainly in those rebel, punk rock songs.
It's a challenge to give the same msg without some "hot" words, but it's part of our job to find a way :)
Cheers!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests