Alternative Folk - reworked per your feedback 5-22-24

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Alternative Folk - reworked per your feedback 5-22-24

Post by deantaylor » Sun May 12, 2024 8:48 am

Marc reworked this production/mix per the excellent feedback from eeoo, WSAO, Matt, Yajhil. Thanks to them!
How do you like it now? Is it ready to pitch to libraries for sync? (It's not for a listing.)
Any issues or room for improvement?
These are our style alikes so far: The Devil Makes Three, The Dead South, Colter Wall, Amigo the Devil
https://on.soundcloud.com/T9HxkWnbayoHCDfWA
Thank You!
Last edited by deantaylor on Wed May 22, 2024 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Alternative Folk - how's the mix?

Post by eeoo » Sun May 12, 2024 1:03 pm

Hey guys! To my ear it could use a more natural treatment for those alas. Less sauce, more room sounds. And I feel like acoustic bass might be more apropos. Cool tune, good luck!

WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by WSAO » Sun May 12, 2024 8:31 pm

agree with eeoo.
Less general reverb, also try to clean some noises, maybe in the vocal track.
Anyway is a very cool song!

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon May 13, 2024 6:58 pm

This is a fun song, Dean - thanks for sharing! I enjoyed listening to this one, it's got a really cool vibe, and the lyrics are great.

Two points of feedback for you: the treatment of the vocal (as the other guys have mentioned) doesn't match the rest of the instrumentation. The end result is a song that sounds as if the instrumentalists are sitting right across from me in the same room, but the singer is coming from outer space. It's what dear ol' Ronin Chris Murphy would refer to as "reverb confusion". Make sure you get everything in the same environment. Either make the instruments match the treatment of the vocal, or (better yet) make the vocal match the instruments.

Lastly - and this didn't bother me as much as the song went along, but it did stand out early - is the sound of the bass guitar. As eeoo said, I think an upright bass would be more fitting. This bass sounds too much like what you'd hear from the local cover band at a dive bar. Good sound, but too amateur in tone for a song this cool. I think something more unique & exciting (even maybe try some distortion on that electric bass if you choose to keep it?) would suit this song better.

Best of luck with it!

~~Matt

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Tue May 14, 2024 8:53 am

Thank you eeoo, WSAO, Matt. Very helpful! We are gonna rework this one per your feedback. I'll post a new mix when ready.

Yajhil

Post by Yajhil » Wed May 15, 2024 12:19 pm

Hi there. So the reverb doesn't sound that bad to me. The thing I would pick at the most is the room noise. For example, at 1:15 there is a lot of room noise that could be minimized. Actually, it sounds like there's little bits of room noise popping in and out on some of the instruments throughout that I don't think is adding anything to the song, even right at the end of the song. As for the song itself, it's freaking awesome and I loved it and can see it being used for something for sure. Hope this helps!
Just a guy making demos hoping someone else will polish and perform them!

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Wed May 22, 2024 1:49 pm

eeoo wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 1:03 pm
Hey guys! To my ear it could use a more natural treatment for those alas. Less sauce, more room sounds. And I feel like acoustic bass might be more apropos. Cool tune, good luck!
Thanks eo. Marc reworked the production/mix.
If you have time to listen again your thoughts on the new version would be much appreciated. If not, no worries, you've helped enough already!
Is it hitting on all cylinders now? Is it ready to pitch to libraries for sync?

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Wed May 22, 2024 1:52 pm

WSAO wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:31 pm
agree with eeoo.
Less general reverb, also try to clean some noises, maybe in the vocal track.
Anyway is a very cool song!
Thanks WSAO. Marc reworked the production/mix.
If you have time to listen again your thoughts on the new version would be much appreciated. If not, no worries, you've helped enough already!
Is it hitting on all cylinders now? Is it ready to pitch to libraries for sync?

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Wed May 22, 2024 1:54 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 6:58 pm
This is a fun song, Dean - thanks for sharing! I enjoyed listening to this one, it's got a really cool vibe, and the lyrics are great.

Two points of feedback for you: the treatment of the vocal (as the other guys have mentioned) doesn't match the rest of the instrumentation. The end result is a song that sounds as if the instrumentalists are sitting right across from me in the same room, but the singer is coming from outer space. It's what dear ol' Ronin Chris Murphy would refer to as "reverb confusion". Make sure you get everything in the same environment. Either make the instruments match the treatment of the vocal, or (better yet) make the vocal match the instruments.

Lastly - and this didn't bother me as much as the song went along, but it did stand out early - is the sound of the bass guitar. As eeoo said, I think an upright bass would be more fitting. This bass sounds too much like what you'd hear from the local cover band at a dive bar. Good sound, but too amateur in tone for a song this cool. I think something more unique & exciting (even maybe try some distortion on that electric bass if you choose to keep it?) would suit this song better.

Best of luck with it!

~~Matt
Thanks Matt. Marc reworked the production/mix.
Is it hitting on all cylinders now?

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Wed May 22, 2024 1:55 pm

Yajhil wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 12:19 pm
Hi there. So the reverb doesn't sound that bad to me. The thing I would pick at the most is the room noise. For example, at 1:15 there is a lot of room noise that could be minimized. Actually, it sounds like there's little bits of room noise popping in and out on some of the instruments throughout that I don't think is adding anything to the song, even right at the end of the song. As for the song itself, it's freaking awesome and I loved it and can see it being used for something for sure. Hope this helps!
Thanks Yajhil. Marc reworked the production/mix.
Is it hitting on all cylinders now?