Anyone heard from the $150 sync fee movie?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Anyone heard from the $150 sync fee movie?

Post by pwaara » Sat May 25, 2024 8:32 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm curious if anyone has heard back from your forward to the independent movie that was offering a $150 sync fee for songs. I had a couple of forwards that I thought were good contenders and I was wondering if they chose someone else or if they haven't processed the forwards yet. Just curious.

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Anyone heard from the $150 sync fee movie?

Post by melodymessiah » Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:36 pm

i think the chances for anyone without any serious connections and credits landing a deal like this is incredibly slim. has any taxi member ever done it?
i think it''s pretty much like getting a cut with a major label artist. these are inside placements. if you sign up with taxi to get any of these placements, you're naive. for smaller placements taxi seems to work, albeit only for a relatively small group of members.

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:04 pm

I'm pretty sure many Taxi members have gotten songs placed in small independent movies. (If any of you read this, please jump in.) And as far as small goes, this is about as small as you can get for a sync in a movie. Why would they even send a brief to Taxi if they weren't looking for music from its members? I'll keep pitching. You are free to do as you like.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:10 pm

I had an indie movie placement through Taxi a few years back and I highly doubt I'm the only one.

EO

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:51 pm

With $150 sync, the odds, while still long, are still well within reach for unknown folks like us. Taxi members like eeoo have gotten these placements. It's the 5-6 figure syncs that generally go to known artists, making the chances for folks like us, extremely tiny.

BTW, a Taxi member friend and collaborator of mine once got a placement in a DKNY commercial (through a Taxi friendly library) that I"m sure paid 5 figures.

Best,
:D Casey

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:08 pm

melodymessiah wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:36 pm
i think the chances for anyone without any serious connections and credits landing a deal like this is incredibly slim. has any taxi member ever done it?
i think it''s pretty much like getting a cut with a major label artist. these are inside placements. if you sign up with taxi to get any of these placements, you're naive. for smaller placements taxi seems to work, albeit only for a relatively small group of members.
Yep, I know PLENTY of people that have landed indie movie placements. For the price this movie is paying per sync ($150) the only thing they're likely to get the rights to are songs by people like us. If you think someone huge is willing to allow their music to be used in an indie film for a measly $150, you're nuts 😜

Like Casey already said, it's the BIG sync fees - think mid 5 figures, to 6 figures (yes, they're out there) - where all of a sudden you might find yourself in competition with the likes of Bruno Mars, Ariana Grande, and Lil Nas X. But even still, I know people that have landed those too, and they are not "well connected" musicians.

~~Matt

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:35 am

My first ever placement in my early days as a TAXI member came from a forward and was for a documentary film. The sync fee was minimal, but was more than $150 since they used more than one song. It's not impossible if the music fits the need.

The film: https://www.amazon.com/Not-Black-Enough ... B075MX5TPQ