Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Should I go with 48KHz or 44KHz to submit for Film

Post by Telefunkin » Sun May 26, 2024 12:43 am

BradleyHagen wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 7:07 pm
You guys are missing the point here!
Recording at 24/96 just makes you feel like a bigger man!! I swear that I have some kind of fierce big c**k energy and vibe about me after I waste that extra drive space... Just KNOWING that I recorded at 24/96 gives me a certain amount of swagger as I go about my day thereafter!! lol
I like the sound of 100kHz - its 4 better! :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun May 26, 2024 1:05 am

JohnAtonic wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 11:16 am
Ok, but how are they ever gonna know that you up sampled?
Because you just told us all on a public forum ;). Seriously, do whatever you think is right for you, your workflow and your customers.

Personally, I try to respect my customers' requests by giving then what they ask for, rather than doing whatever I can get away with. Sometimes that has to be balanced with what makes most sense for me, but using 10% more disk space seems a small price to pay when external hard drives are relative inexpensive, flipping a DAW switch takes no effort, and avoiding re-work is an efficiency win.

And if further up-sampling as part of the render process can gives a further quality gain (as Mark claims) then why not try it? You might get the same thrill as Bradley as an unexpected bonus (did I spell that correctly? 8-) :lol: ).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun May 26, 2024 6:01 am

Some guys are secure enough in their masculinity that they don't need to upsample or record at 96. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I did misunderstand what Mark was doing, not realizing it took very little additional disk space. If it sounds better, why not? Mark did send me 2 files for a blind test and even my terrible 70 year old ears, on modest monitors, noticed a slight improvement on the right one. It still probably wouldn't make or break a submission IMHO but for no cost, why not?

Happy Upsample Memorial Day,
Casey

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sun May 26, 2024 8:30 am

OK OK OK!!! I will open my next session at 48K!!!! But it will be Casey's fault if my wife starts to complain! lol
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

JohnAtonic

Post by JohnAtonic » Sun May 26, 2024 10:01 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 1:05 am
JohnAtonic wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 11:16 am
Ok, but how are they ever gonna know that you up sampled?
Because you just told us all on a public forum ;). Seriously, do whatever you think is right for you, your workflow and your customers.

Personally, I try to respect my customers' requests by giving then what they ask for, rather than doing whatever I can get away with. Sometimes that has to be balanced with what makes most sense for me, but using 10% more disk space seems a small price to pay when external hard drives are relative inexpensive, flipping a DAW switch takes no effort, and avoiding re-work is an efficiency win.

And if further up-sampling as part of the render process can gives a further quality gain (as Mark claims) then why not try it? You might get the same thrill as Bradley as an unexpected bonus (did I spell that correctly? 8-) :lol: ).
:) Now the whole world knows ;) Hey yeah I'm not saying that I'm against using 48k, and since I now know why it is used for film/tv/video, I will use it for taxi listings when a deal offer comes. The other thing is, there will still be upsampling happening indirectly because any sampled instruments out of my box are not 48k, so there is no way to totally avoid upsampling. Take care!