This Website...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

originalalimony

This Website...

Post by originalalimony » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:13 pm

I’ve been on and off this site here for a few years now, and have been trying to promote my music the whole time. But it seems like this website is filled with Old Hippies that only care about their dinosaur genre. I have yet to receive any comments on any of my Threads. I haven’t used any vulgar language, and my music is cutting edge. So it must be what I suspect. You shouldn’t call yourselves a Community if ya stick only to your own kind!!I’m truly disgusted by your lack of openness to things outside yourselves. AlimonY

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: This Website...

Post by crs7string » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:22 pm

As a general rule around here, people tend to introduce themselves first, give a little backround etc.Next, new folks usually jump in and comment on what is being posted in Peer to Peer, listen to the music forwarded etc.As people start to recognize a new name they jump on board to listen to your music and begin developing a relationship.Sorry you feel the way you do about the "old hippies" around here.I do know that being pleasant is generally a better way to garner attention and build a relationship.Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

stephen
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stephen » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:35 pm

Hey I'm 30 I feel like 25, I'm no old hippie. I'll say that I've had no problem here folks listen to my stuff join my threads whenever I start one. Nobody here's the way you describe them. As strings said Introduce yourself first you can't expect folks to just like you if they don't know who you are... That's the way to make relationships and get folks to listen to your point of view.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi AlimonY,This "website" (I think forum is actually what it is called), is not necessarily for promoting your music, since we're generally all "peers" here. It's more for sharing what you do and providing friendly, mostly professional feedback and support (at least that's how I try to play here). Cutting edge or not, we're all in the same game regardless of age. Believe it or not, one of the largest, demographics out there in the world is "old Hippies", otherwise known as "baby boomers". I hope your first impressions with potential clients are more favorable than the one you've just created here.Good luck to you,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Hey AlimonY,I'm forever popping in and out of this forum. I'm not actually a member of Taxi, but nevertheless I have been treated like one of the family. My music is about as cutting edge as a wooden spoon but I'm progressing a little more each day, thanks to the helping hands (experienced ears) of these "people" - I'd rather call them that, if you don't mind! Have you introduced yourself yet? That's usually a nice way to get started, you can also listen to other peoples music and comment from time to time. It might take you away from your own work for a couple of minutes but sometimes it's nice to experience things, outside yourself.Look forward to seeing you around, do you have a link to your music (myspace, Taxi member page or the likes)?Linzi

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Aug 17, 2008, 3:13pm, originalalimony wrote:I’ve been on and off this site here for a few years now, and have been trying to promote my music the whole time. Well clearly you're doing a lousy job of that, especially since you just insulted the crowd you're trying to sell yourself to. Might want to re-think that strategy.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Aug 17, 2008, 3:13pm, originalalimony wrote:I’ve been on and off this site here for a few years now, and have been trying to promote my music the whole time. But it seems like this website is filled with Old Hippies that only care about their dinosaur genre. I have yet to receive any comments on any of my Threads. I haven’t used any vulgar language, and my music is cutting edge. So it must be what I suspect. You shouldn’t call yourselves a Community if ya stick only to your own kind!!I’m truly disgusted by your lack of openness to things outside yourselves. AlimonY Hey, I'm old as dirt, I freely admit it. But every now and then old hippies can listen to some new stuff and appreciate it. I just listened to King Hustle on your website. And guess what....it's a good tune! It's a nice party tune...with a good groove. I don't claim to be a current hip-hop expert though.I listened to some of your other tunes as well....you have sort of an Eminem vibe going on, although that will make you laugh probably, but it's true. But it's not a bad comparison, although you might see it as mainstream and OLD, I dunno. Anyway, thanks for the listen. Paradise was a good tune too...I'd like you to list those lyrics in the future if you could....some powerful and deep stuff. Kind of like city poetry music....rapper early 90's style, but more updated and current....I can hear some NWA influence there....great stuff. BTW, I owe some folks e-mails and PMS and I'll return them ASAP.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:22 pm

Aug 17, 2008, 3:13pm, originalalimony wrote:I’ve been on and off this site here for a few years now, and have been trying to promote my music the whole time. But it seems like this website is filled with Old Hippies that only care about their dinosaur genre. I have yet to receive any comments on any of my Threads. I haven’t used any vulgar language, and my music is cutting edge. So it must be what I suspect. You shouldn’t call yourselves a Community if ya stick only to your own kind!!I’m truly disgusted by your lack of openness to things outside yourselves. AlimonY Aug 15, 2008 - you posted in "Shameless Self Promotion" about internet collaborations being possible. I'm not sure what you mean by that post. If you're looking for co-writers, "Collaboration Corner" is the place to go. If you're looking for feedback, post in "Peer to Peer".July 13, 2007 - you posted in "Shameless Self Promotion" about two new songs. If you're looking for feedback, "Peer to Peer" is the place to go.May 1, 2007 - you posted in "Shameless Self Promotion" asking people to listen to your outside-the-mainstream music. 3 or 4 people replied, you never bothered to answer them.Mar 31, 2007 - you posted feedback to one person's song.Mar 31, 2006, you posted (correctly) in "Collaboration Corner", introducing yourself, saying you were looking for someone in Vancouver to collaborate with. As far as I know there's only one other person on this forum that lives in Vancouver.You've made more than one comment in your few posts that no one seems to be interested in what you are doing. I'm sorry you have that impression. Members of this forum have limited time and tend to want to see that someone is serious about contributing to the forum before jumping into dialoque. you've asked for feedback several times but I've only seen you give it once. That gives the impression you are only interested in us telling you how great you are. You've never joined in any discussions, or even introduced yourself so we know more about you. And yeah, I know you think your music is kickass.. and that's cool, but when you come on here and say 'move over people, here I am', well, we tend to think, 'yeah, right.' maybe if you drop the attitude and participate more you'd find you'd fit right in. Hip hop is a very popular genre but I don't think there's many that get it right. Your experience could be invaluable.This forum isn't really about "promoting our music". It's about sharing our knowledge of songwriting, composing, producing and pitching effectively. There's no one here who can sign you to a deal. We're all songwriters and producers, like you.In addition, most forums have guidelines and sections for a reason. If you haven't been around much, it's easy to post in a section that doesn't get a lot of traffic.Have a read through the first post in this thread and then let's see if we can start again:- http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... read=2141H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:25 pm

Pretend this is an "Insurance Agents Forum", run by a company that helps insurance agents find people, groups, and companies looking for insurance. So you use the TAXI LISTINGS to submit your insurance proposals and this forum (populated by other insurance agents), to talk to other agents about things like cold calling, sales, overcoming rejection, and sometimes review of each other's insurance policies. We also talk frequently about "what the listings might really be looking for" when a listing appears asking for a certain, special, specific, or unusual kind of insurance. So... let's replace the word "music" with the word "insurance" in your posts and see if your approach makes any sense...Quote:I do my own thing with insurance. Most of my insurance policies have hidden meanings, and I am not concerned with other peoples opinions when they have negativity towards my insuranceQuote:Take a minute to review my new insurance policies, and give me a heads up as to what you think.and finally...Aug 17, 2008, 3:13pm, originalalimony wrote:I’ve been on and off this forum here for a few years now, and have been trying to promote my insurance the whole time. I have yet to receive any comments on any of my insurance policies. I’m truly disgusted by your lack of openness to things outside your own insurance policiesYou're like an insurance agent at an "Insurance Agent Forum" trying to sell your insurance to other insurance agents. Does the concept of "selling" us still make sense?Save the selling for insurance BUYERS. Stop trying to sell to other agents selling insurance. The individuals, groups, and companies in the TAXI LISTINGS are the only people affiliated with Taxi that are looking to buy insurance. The rest of the insurance agents here... if you're forever trying to "sell" us, no wonder you're frustrated!Quit "selling", be a regular guy and you'll find a whole host of new friends.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:40 pm

Hey Mr Disgusted in Vancouver, People here might be thinking you're me, cause I live in Vancouver. Around 41st & Nanaimo. I played at the Vancouver Hotel last 3 nites. And this is my third day not smoking. I'm extra grumpy today. Wanna badmouth my friends some more? hehe No c'mon! Really! You've just been advertising yourself all wrong. Re-read this thread, and learn how to be REALLY friendly, in a way that works for this forum, instead of how you think people should be re-acting. This is a wicked-fun and informative place once you understand how to communicate. I'm still learning.