THREE more attempting to QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

THREE more attempting to QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:00 am

(Originally titled "GIVE ME A CIGARETTE!!!!! AUUUUUUUGGHHH!!!)OK, I just needed to get that out of my system. (where is that pulling-my-hair-out smiley when I need it?)In 3 hours, I will have made it through the first 48 in a row, without smoking.Any of y'all out there recently quit? Got any helpful advice? I've been using jelly beans to substitute for that all-too-familiar reaching for one. Granted, I'm making myself a little sick with all the sugar, but in a day or two, it'll be far EASIER to give up the jelly beans.And the biggest reason I didn't have one (a smoke) yesterday was just 'cause I knew it would set me back another two days...What else might help? I'm trying to drink lots of water, although as badly as I want one right now, vodka sounds more appealing. Luckily, I'm NOT a nail-biter, or I'd be bleeding all over my keyboard right now.... Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: GIVE ME A CIGARETTE!! AAAaaugh!!!............

Post by byllsong » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:37 am

Hey TedI've never smoked, but I had/have friends that did/do. My wife stopped when she found out she was pregnant 25 years ago. My mother-in-law stopped when she found out she had lung cancer. RIP.Your success will be determined by your motivation to stop. Good Luck. Be strong. Billy
Billy

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:22 am

Hey Ted I just quit in Jan. after a zillion years of smoking. I tried EVRYTHING and the only thing that helped me were the lozenges . . . I used a generic brand to save money. Unlike the gum or a patch you can suck on the lozenges & basically o.d. on nicotine. This has worked for me (so far!)

ragani
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ragani » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:42 am

Hey Ted--Wow Ted, you're really doing a bunch of life-changing things these past few years!! Bravo to you!! DON'T YOU STOP!!!!!!!! The hardest part of course, will be the first few weeks, but it gets easier. Not said from personal experience with cigarettes, but from personal experience with lots of other "addictions" and from family members and friends I know who have quit successfully and FOREVER!! I have heard that B vitamins are especially helpful to reduce the cravings, as smoking often depletes the body and starts that vicious craving cycle. No, sugar doesn't help much , as it just keeps that addictive cycle going. But at least for the time being, I suppose sugar would be better than smoking! Your lungs will likely appreciate the jelly beans over the nicotine! I'm rooting for you here, Ted!! Imagine how many more girls will be getting in line to kiss you once you're off the cigarettes. And think how much more money you'll have to spend on your music studio! It's ALL good when the cigarettes are gone! I hope to hear that you are 8 months without them at the next Rally!! Lots of support to you!Raags
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it..." - Goethe
http://www.RaganiWorld.com - Turn the World to Love®
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=ragani

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:07 am

Gee Ted - as you know, everything I post is a reflection of my father, so let me share this with you -HE DIED AT THE AGE OF 67 FROM EMPHYSEMA FROM SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When he was diagnosed with the disease, he had 35% of one lung and 25% of the other! Yet, he lived for another gruelling 2 1/2 years with only 60% use of 200% of his total lung capacity.He slowly suffocated to death and didn't have the lung capacity to play his bass for his remaining time on earth. It was the most awful way to see such a great musician die...I've never smoked a single cigarette - I never will - please stay with it...I tell this to you with all the love and respect I can offer you...

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:20 am

FWIW...Compare writing music all by yourself to writing music with the help from the forum folks and others. Now transfer that to the process of quitting anything and it's no surprise that those that choose to quit "on their own" usually don't do any better than those that choose to write music "on their own".Find a support group, preferable in person but at least online where you have the same support for the ups and downs that we all do with music. Thank you... that'll be $50.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:00 am

Ted,I quit in 1984 and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself.Raags is right on with the B vitamins. Also go to the health food store and find the tea called "Smokers Tea". It has lobelia in it which coats the nerve endings and will calm you down. Drink lots of water to flush the nicotine out of the system. It will be gone in about 7 days. Also avoid coffee and red meat for a while as they contain chemicals which are related to nicotine. And no alcohol, it will have a similar chemical effect as nicotine as well.If you can avoid doing things that you used to do while smoking, that's a very good way to start to deal with the psychological aspect. Of course, there's certain things that you can't avoid doing but as much as possible, try to learn what the triggers are to make you smoke and do something different.I know how difficult it is to quit smoking but I also can say how great it feels to be free of that monkey on my back!Plus cigarettes are extremely expensive these days, right? Put that money toward some studio time...... It adds up quick!You can do it! Hang in there.John
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:16 am

Ted, you know I'm not one to give you any advice about smoking...exceptthat I continue to expect GREAT things from you.

mewman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mewman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:32 am

Hi TedI quit last january when smoking was banned in the clubs in Quebec. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. Just quit because you want to. You'll feel better and better about it as time goes on! My daughter was a major source of inspiration as well.Mewman

Mark Kaufman
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Mark Kaufman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:37 am

Good for you, Ted!I used to quit all the time... (rimshot)But after about 13 years of heavy smoking, I finally quit years ago. My technique was to set a date, then I smoked like crazy until then. The night before I had two cigarettes in each hand, all night, just to make myself sick of them. It actually did make the first day off easier...But here's the thing, now that you've made it 2 days. You need to continually remind yourself that you are strong and serious. You quit for a reason, so: REMEMBER WHY YOU DON'T WANT SMOKES. They have been marketed to you, they will kill you, they offer nothing but temporary relief from the craving for another and another and another until they kill you. Get mad at 'em, Ted! Don't listen to their siren song, lest that siren turn into the one on an ambulance. Focus your mind on what you KNOW is right...suffer and allow yourself to be aware of the suffering. But calm down and stick to your guns. All that craving will go away. You will win the battle against them...and one day soon, you'll wake up with the biggest, freshest tasting breath of air you breathed in years, and you will think...Wow, I feel so good! Why did I do that to myself for so long?It's hard, Ted, but it's worth it. Be strong, be mad. Take back control of your life, good sir.