THREE more attempting to QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: GIVE ME A CIGARETTE!! AAAaaugh!!!............

Post by edteja » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:04 am

Do it Ted! Go Ted Go!!!!!I quit a long time ago after smoking like a chimney for about ten years. Took me a couple of tries to make it stick. Like Mark said, it is hard, bit you can be strong--your music needs you to be. Think how much better your vocals will get.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks, y'all. I just needed to check in and say "49 hours, and counting."Something else I think is going to help is spending Mon-Wed hard at work in the studio (and my engineer is NOT a smoker). By the time I get back home, I ought to be OK.No matter... Being able to scream to y'all (not AT y'all) about it made getting through to the 3 pm marker MUCH easier.Thanks. PROMISE to keep checking in (on THIS thread, anyway) with you EVERY day.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

mikegoudreau
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikegoudreau » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 am

Hey Ted,hang in there bro !...I never smoked cigarettes but my mom & dad both did and still do...I wish they would stop...My oldest daughter does too and it breaks my heart to see her light up...My wife quit when she got pregnant and didn't start again ( Thank God). I know it is one of the toughest habits to kick...I pray you will be able to keep it up.My addiction was/is pot...I smoked ALOT of pot everyday for 20 years and quit in Nov. 2007...I miss it still, but I don't miss paying for it and being addicted to it ( Not to mention it's illegal )...I know that cigarettes are much harder to quit, but I hope you can do it ! Good luck !Mike

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:49 am

Ted...the most embarrassing momment happened to me on a gig Wednesday.....i will share...even though...I thought I'd never tell anyone...i'm quitting and going hiking three miles a day....there i was singing and playing....and this thing had to come up....looggy...not sure how to spell that one ...and it landed on my shirt ..then I flicked it and...it landed on my skirt (we were all black)...OK..I'm in the middle of a song....i had to leave it there....and the band was saying..."eeww"...and the piano player was laughing her ass off....and it was dripping off me in front of all....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!watch out for the stuff that's going to want to cough up

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Oh, Vickie... you have my sincere sympathy. It's not quite warm enough here yet for daily hikes, but I'll be right there with you for every step.Maybe we should start using this thread as a way to keep each other motivated. K?Ted
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi Ted,Not sure what's been said so far but here's my 2C...First give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for the idea of quiting even entering your head! That's massive really when you think about how easy it is to just carry on.What I would do now is print the most gruesome list of smoking and it's effect on you and the people around you, read it through...scare yourself and then pop it in a draw. Each time you feel the need to smoke, reread through that list and give yourself another HUGE pat on the back!You CAN do it, you WILL do it, You're DOING it!

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Quote:Hi Ted,Not sure what's been said so far but here's my 2C...First give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for the idea of quiting even entering your head! That's massive really when you think about how easy it is to just carry on.What I would do now is print the most gruesome list of smoking and it's effect on you and the people around you, read it through...scare yourself and then pop it in a draw. Each time you feel the need to smoke, reread through that list and give yourself another HUGE pat on the back!You CAN do it, you WILL do it, You're DOING it! Hey something else just struck me...maybe you can say "I've stopped smoking" rather than "I'm stopping" change that thought stream!GO GO GO!!!

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Quote:[quote author=linziellen board=general thread=1206813636 post=1206834402]Hey something else just struck me...maybe you can say "I've stopped smoking" rather than "I'm stopping" change that thought stream!GO GO GO!!!Thanks, Lindsey.Actually, I'm trying something like that. Back in Dec. (?), my friend Aub was telling me about how HE quit, and so much of it was built around his change of perspective.Rather than chanting "I'm going to try not to smoke today", he started telling himself, "I'm going to make healthy choices today" (or something to that effect). To my knowledge, he's still not smoking.THAT, I can do.So, now I just need to head home...grab the guitar...and rehearse my little bohunkus off. By the time I wake up tomorrow morning, it'll nearly be three days. wooHOO!Thanks, again, ALL of you, for the support and encouragement. I must tell you, I honestly believe I can DO this, this time.Talk to you tomorrow.ted
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Ted, congrats!! I haven't got there yet (still smoking, don't get me started about it, ugh!) but doing a term paper on quitting. Here's a suggestion......lollipops (suckers). Yep, it's candy and yep, you might gain weight if you eat enough of them but if you alternate with those mini-carrots you can get at the grocery store, the movement of your jaw will simulate smoking and fool your body into thinking you're having one. Don't forget to watch out for days 80 to 90 and day 180 or so. They're rough. (see how confident I am in you?)Good luck! May you stay smoke-free for life! And jes think of what you can do with all the money you're saving.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:41 pm

OK, so I thought that since I had made it to 6 pm (MST), I could reward myself with a Happy Hour cocktail.NOW I totally get it about old habits triggering old behaviors. Now, with a drink in my hand, it strikes me as the most natural thing in the world to step outside and light up.I'm NOT doing that, though. promise.Tedsoon to be 52 hours and counting...
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982