THREE more attempting to QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bmete
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: GIVE ME A CIGARETTE!! AAAaaugh!!!............

Post by bmete » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:07 am

Hey Ted,Stay strong..... I quit March 4, 2004, they put my baby daughter in my arms, and suddenly I realized I had to be there for her. ( Of course my son reminds me that he was 4 years old when this occurred), it's just different with daughters. You'll know you're doing great when you go from, wanting to stand next to people smoking... to breath it in, ...to OMG they sink, how could I let myself smell like that. I was a three pack a day smoker, glad I quit when they were $.89 a pack.A big part of quitting is a good support group... and the FORUM is here for you..Bob

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:29 am

Hey, Ted. I smoked for about 12 years. I wasn't a super heavy smoker, about a pack a day. It took me about five tries to quit, but I finally did. Then after five years of not smoking, silly person that I am, I took up smoking again. But that only lasted about 2 years because I was diagnosed with the the big C in 1998. No, not lung cancer, a common female cancer. I was very lucky, my cancer was caught very early, and I'm a ten year survivor now...yeah, I've had a mulitude of freakin' health problems, but I made it, hehe. Needless to say, that scared the bejesus out of me, so I haven't had a cigarette in ten years. I want to live to be an older broad than I am now. Good luck and keep trying. And if you fail the first time, get back on the wagon. Eventually, you'll just get sick of smoking, and you'll give it up. The hardest part of the cigarette smoking habit to break was not actually the nicotine withdrawal, but just having that cig dangling from my mouth. I'd get terrible cravings when I woke up from sleeping, and also after I ate something. My friends didn't help because they smoke too, and it's still hard going to parties when people are smoking. Plus, I got those really bad allergies and respiratory problems two years ago, so it's a done deal now. I just can't smoke. Maybe I don't have will power afterall......my health just keeps me straight.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:29 am

Hey, y'all.Well, I'm happy to tell you I have officially passed the 72 hour mark...and I haven't beaten the crap out of anyone yet!!! wooHOO! I consider that a sign of success. I can't thank y'all enough for so much support. I honestly believe this is going to be a much easier process, just knowing y'all are here.I've been smoking (off and on, but by far...mostly ON) for 39+ years...and I NEVER smoked even a full pack per day. But I'm finding that what I'm actually missing the most is just the rituals that go along with it.But I'm telling y'all the truth... I am NOT going back. I keep remembering my friend, Pam, and I talking more than 15 years ago... She told me that she hadn't had a cigarette in 14 years, and that the ONE and ONLY reason she didn't light one up right then and there was because she knew she could never survive the anguish of quitting again.That's what keeps me from breaking down. I've made it three days. Three nerve-wracking, torturous, angst-filled days. But it's only going to continue to get easier from here.Lindsey (et al), how about I'll change the title of this thread when I've passed my first week. Deal? That's how you'll know I've made it that long.Headed into the studio for three days, starting tomorrow morning. Best way on earth to keep me thinking of making smart choices...So much gratitude...ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:38 am

Yah Ted!!! Keep on going, man! You can do it!! And you will not only feel better - but I bet you sing better than ever!!!hugsHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:58 am

Deal Mr Ted! This is your official cyber hand shake(cyber hand shake)I await title change...

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:05 am

Quote:I want to live to be an older broad than I am now. And I want the same thing for you. And besides, we still haven't gotten to collab on anything yet...
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:19 am

Quote:Quote:I want to live to be an older broad than I am now. And I want the same thing for you. And besides, we still haven't gotten to collab on anything yet... One day we will, Bubba. Promise.

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by llama » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Hey Ted,Been very busy last few days so haven't seen this thread. Just wanna let you know that I'm routing for you man.....three days and counting, that's awesome Ted......keep it up.I smoked since high school and finely quit on my Thirtieth birthday. For me the hardest part was the social thing. At high school smoking was a social thing, as a touring musician smoking was a social thing. But I could feel my body starting to react badly to smoking and that's what made me quit. To put it bluntly the question was did I want to increase my chances of dying a terrible death with some form of cancer or have a better chance of living a healthy life, see my kids grow up etc. etc.. I kinda scared myself out of it. The first week is the hardest, after that it gets better but the temptation will be there for a while. As Bob said. when you start smelling how smokers smell and find it repulsive then you know you're on your way. Good luck Ted. Stay strong.Derek

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Hooks has hit it precisely. The urge does not last long, but you have to be prepared to fight it off many times, though fewer and fewer as time goes on.

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:18 am

Quote:Here's a bit of info that might give you a bit of an edge, Ted.The intense urge to smoke a cig usually lasts for only about six seconds. When that urge consumes you -- like I know it does -- realize that you have to fight like a badger for less than ten seconds. The more you fight it and win, the less often you have to fight it. When it hits you, fight back for a few seconds and count on the fact that the urge is losing its power.It's a fact, bud.Totally agree. This is how I went cold turkey 5 years ago and have never looked back. KEEP GOING!! I promise it will get easier and better after just a few days.