Ear Problem - Tumor?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Ear Problem - Tumor?

Post by ernstinen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks for the words of wisdom, guys! Yea, the Doc is just probably ruling things out. It could just be old age LOL! Or maybe the years of loud guitar playing. I was talking to a buddy today, and he and I both played guitar on stage right most of our gigging careers, with the drums to our left. Do most guitarists play on the right side of the stage? Kinda seems that way, why I don't know. My buddy said it's because the bassist likes to be on the left near the drummer's hi hat. Huh?Apr 24, 2008, 9:23pm, milfus wrote:bah, get a partner to do the panning, worst case, one ear will make you better at dynamics, your worst case scenario is just getting someone to pan stuff for you buddy, a service i will do for free any time you need it.Good point, milfus! I'm used to other people panning my music all the time! Maybe I'll partner up with Brian Wilson, if his good ear is his left one. We could write some awesome tunes, and collaborate on the panning during mixdown. Ern

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:58 pm

Yeah Ern,I've got increasing loss in my left ear. Years of screaming amps, feedback -- I'm a lefty with those amps pounding my left ear... Twenty years ago, it was a ten percent high-end loss. Now, if I cover my right ear, I can't hear much above... say 4khz. Birds, etc...It's the price we pay, I suppose.Hearing loss... Hmmm... There are worse things to deal with... ... Like having three nipples! Arkjack... Dude... I'm so sorry!!! Hehheh! I'd surely stab myself with a rusty shovel! Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:11 am

Apr 24, 2008, 8:12am, walter327 wrote:I agree with Dave. Positive thoughts are very important. They also have a new laser at MPRI in Bloomington, Indiana-Midwest Proton Radiotherapy Institute. They can really focus in on an area the size of a pin point with this stuff and drastically reduce the possibilities of permanent damage from surgery. The lady there is Jennifer at 1(812)349-5074. They'll be happy to send you info to assist you in a decision and further your knowledge. My stuff is stable. But, I'm keeping it in mind.Bless ya, Ern.Hey Walter,I finally talked to Jennifer at MPRI, and she was very helpful. She's sending a DVD of their proton treatment procedures.She also said that Loma Linda Hospital here in SoCal does proton therapy for acoustic neuromas. Here's their thing:Acoustic neuromas are benign tumors that involve the eighth cranial nerve. This is the nerve that controls most of our hearing. Results following traditional surgery reveal that more than 50 percent of patients may experience a significant loss of hearing over time. Fractionation of radiation treatment has the potential to decrease late normal tissue damage that is often seen following single large doses of radiosurgery. Loma Linda University Medical Center delivers small doses over radiation over a number of weeks. The precision of radiosurgery is also used to support treatment. The goal is to achieve a high rate of local tumor control while minimizing hearing loss associated with other forms of therapy.Looks to me that's the way to go! Thanks for the info --- I appreciate it!BTW, my MRI is scheduled for a week from today, on May 5th. I hope they don't find a tumor, but if there is one I'll talk to the doctor about proton treatment. Much better than cutting a hole in my skull!Best Regards,Ern

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:01 am

Ern this proton treatment looks very promising....glad to hear that your options are looking better and better. Ditto on Squiddy's comment to Walt.I'll be thinking about you when you have your MRI....hope the results are as favorable as possible.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi bayouandme,First, I have to get this out of the way:WHAT'S UP, DOC? There, I feel better already! Seriously, your words mean a lot to me. Thank you so much for that detailed response! I will take your suggestions to heart.All the best,Ern

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Hey Ern,I is thinking about ya, hoping we can all get out our "no tumor" dancing shoes and go wild. In the meantime keep busy with that wonderful looking home studio you got there!Let us know about your results, looks like all thoughts are with you Lindsey

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Milf, you're my hero. My hero who wants to write track for movies with breasts in them.

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Apr 29, 2008, 12:06pm, matto wrote: I had to have one done a couple of years ago about something "unusual" Well it turned out to be nothing...some kind of "congenital anomaly". MattShyeah! You've got a larger than normal heart! I coulda saved ya some dough there, big guy.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:54 am

Apr 29, 2008, 7:00pm, squids wrote:Apr 29, 2008, 12:06pm, matto wrote: I had to have one done a couple of years ago about something "unusual" Well it turned out to be nothing...some kind of "congenital anomaly". MattShyeah! You've got a larger than normal heart! I coulda saved ya some dough there, big guy. GOOD ANSWER, Squiddie!!! Good Answer. Big Money. BIG money....
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982