no profanity

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

no profanity

Post by milfus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:34 am

so theres an industrial rock listing i was thinking of trying to squeeze a song in for (as per being deliberate) and they said ala manson, korn, and ministry, and then said no profanity, so im looking for the rule here, no profanity at all, or no fcc profanity, like, is bitch ok? lude themes/violent themes/innuendos? not that im gonna like run wild with lyrics about raping and pillaging like a viking or anything, but esspescially with those ala's a little anger and some wildness goes a loooooong way in song freedom
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: no profanity

Post by byllsong » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:58 am

No profanity...oh #@%&*
Billy

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:55 am

I'm guessin' they mean no swear words at all. But if you're not sure, you can call 'em and find out.Some libraries will make you do a 'clean' version of a song (no profanity) as well as your original version so you might wanna record both, jes in case, and submit a clean one when they ask and a regular one when they don't. Doubles your chances at listings.Loved "raping and pillaging like a Viking". Dude, I really gotta hear those lyrics. LOL

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:36 pm

well just, how do you emulate manson/korn/ministry and not get edgy?thats like, write a song ala barry manilow, but it cant be loving or uplifting
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:27 am

Well, these "no profanity" listings are usually for film/tv applications, so anything that wouldn't fly on a broadcast network is out. Where exactly they draw the line I'm not sure, so I would err on the side of caution...It's certainly possible to write in the style of the mentioned artists without using profanity in the lyrics, you just have to get a little creative...