Question: Should I sing at my wedding?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

vickye
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Question: Should I sing at my wedding?

Post by vickye » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:44 am

Hello everybody,I'm not sure this is the correct branch of the forum but here goes...I am getting married in three weeks. I have yet to transform into bridezilla or some crazy snow beast, so I have that going for me. However, the closer it gets to the big day, the more requests I am getting asking if I will sing at my wedding. Now, I have played piano for about 1000 other weddings and have never really seen this scenario go well...most brides cry or have some emotional meltdown in the middle of the song. This is just bad all around...bad for your guests, bad for the song, bad for your make up....you get the point.My fiance has stated, "This is not a gig, Vicky." I agree...BUT....I wrote a song for him, its upbeat, fun and ever single person coming to our wedding in Virginia will know the song...including my awesome guitar player, Dean Magraw. (He thinks we should do it.) Anyway, it seems like ya'll have good solid comments and I am interested in what you think. Here is the song for reference:The Hey Hey Songhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=5364 ... anks!Vicky

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Question: Should I sing at my wedding?

Post by sgs4u » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 am

Interesting. A predicament worthy of a new song, all by itself.I also wrote a song and sang it for my wife while she walked down the aisle towards me. But... she wanted it to happen. She wasn't even a little bothered, she felt honored. There was also a safety valve line in my song, "Good Lord, how'm my gonna stop myself from crying," which kinda made it Ok for me to spew a few tears. If she had said, "Steve, it's not a gig," I would've turfed the idea. I was also advised to give my wife anything and everything she wanted, on her wedding day. I guess you could just ask yourself honestly, are you gonna be singing for your fiance, or for all the wedding guests? You could also choose to sing the song you wrote, at your reception, instead of the wedding ceremony. Just be ALL the princess-in-love you can be, it's your day. The diva part, well, only you know where that line is. Quote:Hello everybody,I'm not sure this is the correct branch of the forum but here goes...I am getting married in three weeks. I have yet to transform into bridezilla or some crazy snow beast, so I have that going for me. However, the closer it gets to the big day, the more requests I am getting asking if I will sing at my wedding. Now, I have played piano for about 1000 other weddings and have never really seen this scenario go well...most brides cry or have some emotional meltdown in the middle of the song. This is just bad all around...bad for your guests, bad for the song, bad for your make up....you get the point.My fiance has stated, "This is not a gig, Vicky." I agree...BUT....I wrote a song for him, its upbeat, fun and ever single person coming to our wedding in Virginia will know the song...including my awesome guitar player, Dean Magraw. (He thinks we should do it.) Anyway, it seems like ya'll have good solid comments and I am interested in what you think. Here is the song for reference:The Hey Hey Songhttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=5364 ... anks!Vicky

vickye
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vickye » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:13 am

Hey Steve,Thanks for sharing your experience...we have already said if it is going to happen, it should be at the reception...sorry, should have added that in. Thanks and all my best to you~Vicky

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:16 am

Here's what I suggest - have someone you know, sing the song you wrote for him, during the reception, if you can. Or, have this recording played for your first dance, or during the dance.Or.... have this song used on the wedding video.I know it seems like a very meaningful thing to do, but that day is already full of emotion, pressure, etc. Asking yourself to perform on that day in front of everyone you know might be asking a little too much. As you said, you've seen the results of that.just my two cents.PS - song is very nice Not sure about the drums. Think the lead vocals could come up a tiny notch.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:02 am

Yeah, I agree with Vikki. She makes good suggestions. It's your special day. There's enough pressure as it is. Get someone else to do it for ya'. You're going to be in LA LA land anyway, and probably won't really be focused. I've seen new brides gushing with joy at their receptions and pretty much oblivious to everything & everyone else around them. Just my .02 too.I-468

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:37 am

Hey Vicky,The song is gorgeous...I like the drums and piano . As for singing it on your wedding day, hmm...I actually sang on mine, with my sister and best friend/witness. We sang "Ironic" by Alanis Morissette, you can't get much worse for a wedding day can you!!! My close friend Eddie sang "Amsterdam" - Jacques Brel and our first dance was in the garage to "It's Raining Men" - people were dancing on tables So really I'm not the one to be advising you, I will agree with the others however in that your wedding day is incredibly overwhelming, a blur, as if it's not happening to you at all. It's very surreal. Perhaps you could just play it by ear, see how/when and if you could fit it in somewhere.Best of luck and have a wonderful day!Lindsey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:07 am

The answer is simple...What do YOU want to do? It's your day!! Best wishes!! Casey

dgolding
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dgolding » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:34 pm

I'm with Casey on this. If you wanna do it, go for it If you realy want to do it, and you don't, you might always wish you had.I didn't sing at my first wedding.. I do have some compassion. I did do a few numbers on guitar with the band though, who were all mates of mine. Good fun all round.
It's a fine line between a thick soup and stew.

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:52 am

I've been told I should sing at my funeral (obviously I couldn't do it "live"), this may help people to accept my passing with a little joy (that I'm gone?)I know this doesn't help you, sorry.
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:00 am

Quote:I've been told I should sing at my funeral (obviously I couldn't do it "live"), this may help people to accept my passing with a little joy (that I'm gone?)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website