Music Library - is 20% standard?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ianferrin

Music Library - is 20% standard?

Post by ianferrin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:08 am

I signed a licensing deal w/ a music library for 3 tunes (beggars can't be choosers). The terms seem depressing though. Basically I get a 20% cut.Does anyone know if where 20% stands with others are getting. I presume established artists get a better shake? Did I get screwed?Thanks,Ian

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Music Library - is 20% standard?

Post by mazz » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:41 am

Hi Ian,Sounds like you need to read the contract more closely. If it's the company I'm thinking of, you still get the writer's share of the performance royalty (you do belong to a PRO, right?). The 20% is for the upfront sync fees which these days range from $0.00 on up. Basically if they are putting effort in to promoting your music to their clients (which might be better and more numerous than yours a this stage) then they want a piece of the upfront pie. Is 20% a lot? Maybe. Is 20% standard. There is no standard. Will they reach more potential clients than you will? Probably unless you're very aggressively marketing your music to all the music supervisors and producers that you've been going around and meeting for all these years.There's a lot of difference between artist deals and library deals. If you don't know what those are, there's a ton of posts on this forum and plenty of books out there that give very clear explanations of how the business works. It will pay to get educated. Knowledge is power.Congrats on the deal.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:08 am

Quote:I signed a licensing deal w/ a music library for 3 tunes (beggars can't be choosers). The terms seem depressing though. Basically I get a 20% cut.Does anyone know if where 20% stands with others are getting. I presume established artists get a better shake? Did I get screwed?Thanks,Ian100% songwriting and 20% publishing? or 20% synch/licencing? I'm not sure what you are referring to.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:16 pm

It's never a bad idea to do a search first http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?b ... 1202403532

ianferrin

Post by ianferrin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Thanks Hummingbird - its a licensing deal... for ads/movies etc. It's not a songwriting deal. They rename my tunes and use them under a different title than I gave the tunes. I retain the original ©.Mazz. Thanks Mazz. Reading your post in the other thread, I think it's probably the same company as yours. I guess time will tell.Matto - Thanks. You and mazz pretty much answered my questions. Thanks again guys.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Quote:Thanks Hummingbird - its a licensing deal... for ads/movies etc. It's not a songwriting deal. They rename my tunes and use them under a different title than I gave the tunes. I retain the original ©. I don't know what you mean by "it's not a songwriting deal". You wrote the music, you get the songwriting royalties (via your PRO). But sounds like Matt & Mazz have sorted it for you.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website