Quick advice on A&R rep correspondence!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Quick advice on A&R rep correspondence!

Post by audiorayne » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:52 am

Hi everyone,Much to my surprise I got an email yesterday from one of the film & TV A&R people I gave my cd to at the Rally. I only had two singer/songwriter tracks with lyrics on the CD and some instrumentals, and the A&R rep would like to know if I have any more S/S material that I’d like to submit for consideration. I’m not sure what is the reason behind that but I was honored they took the time to listen, and very glad to get the email in any case. Now it’s up to me to make the best impression I can. Since many of you have been at this (potentially) critical juncture before maybe I could get your thoughts before I dive in with my reply? Choices and dilemmas. Do I:a) Thank them profusely (I think that’s a given)b) Inquire as to why exactly they asking, and what their time frame isc) Ask them how many songs they are looking for and not include any yetd) In order to keep the correspondence to a minimum, assume that this is a time-sensitive inquiry, and send the direct links to some of my S/S songs on the Taxi page (five maybe?)e) Make some more assumptions, and send the direct links to all of my S/S songs on the Taxi pagef) Politely ask what their time frame is and how many songs they’d like, and offer to send them a CD with that number of songsg) Any combination of the aboveAny input you have will be much appreciated! I searched the board on this topic and couldn’t find anything specific, but if anyone knows of any threads, please let me know. Hopefully this may help others in this situation as well. -AR

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Quick advice on A&R rep correspondence!

Post by ciskokidd » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:09 am

Hey AR,You should contact them via e-mail and start the conversation first. By all means start with a few statements of thanks for them taking the time to listen to your material. Let them know that you do have more material ready to show them and ask them what they prefer (CD, links to your stuff). They will let you know.My best piece of advice is to put your best foot forward. Pick out the best of your S/S stuff (maybe best 5) and let them listen to those first.It's a great sign that you have interest. You are in the door. Now you need to get a good feel for what they are looking for and cultivate that relationship. Remember that this whole process takes time and be patient with them.Best of luck,Cisco

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:45 am

Cisco's advise is pretty solid. Keep your correspondence, short and very professional. Politely thank them for the consideration and offer, but don't go all "profuse". Professional courtesy, not critical juncture glee.I wouldn't ask how many more they would want to hear. You are a pro and know that any more than 3 to 5 at this point in the correspondence would be specifically requested. I also wouldn't ask why they are asking at this point. Let the relationship develop, and you'll get all that info.Do ask if they would prefer another CD, or a web link. Whatever they want/need, make it easy for them. Make your emails easy to respond to and you'll get better response. Don't ask a bunch of questions, but make sure it's clear what response you are asking for.Make any links clean and easy to navigate. Make sure to send links to lyrics if it's online. Busy people respond well to those who respect their time and make things easy. Of course the music is always the most important thing, but how you correspond and conduct yourself is very important as well. And btw--- CONGRATS!! Those CDs do get listened to. Best of luck Aub

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:20 am

Thanks guys! I appreciate your advice... especially the part about the "critical juncture glee." lol Stay tuned for news as it develops - hopefully I'll be posting it in the "Success Stories" section. Cheers,-AR

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:53 am

The advice from Cisco and Aub is dead on. Definitely DON'T ask them *why* they're asking to hear more material, LOL.That's like asking a girl who kisses you on the first date, "now why did you do THAT??"

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:17 am

hey ryan,...I think your question is answered. what's left to say is - CONGRATS, that's very cool!martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

audiorayne
Impressive
Impressive

Post by audiorayne » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:27 am

Quote:The advice from Cisco and Aub is dead on. Definitely DON'T ask them *why* they're asking to hear more material, LOL.That's like asking a girl who kisses you on the first date, "now why did you do THAT??" Lol! Good analogy Matt..

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Congrats, AudioRayne. Very cool news. Being in a (brand new) similar situation, this is a GREAT thread to find.I'm also VERY relieved to find out (after the fact) that my 'reply' email met all the criteria mentioned here. Whooo...that was a close one.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Post by twilsbach » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:56 pm

Thats awesome congrats!Can we hear the songs that got you in the door?

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Rock on dude!