Screening process?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

wheelingwv
Active
Active

Screening process?

Post by wheelingwv » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:20 pm

Does anyone know the details of how the screening process for "S" or "Y" listings usually works?1. Is it usually a multi-stage process, starting out with many tunes that are eliminated during a first-stage screening, then someone else listens to all semi-finalists, then the finalists are chosen from that batch, and so on until it's narrowed town to the tunes that are forwarded?2. OR, does the person (or people) assigned to a particular listing listen to every single submission and make the final decisions on the spot as they work their way through the entire pile? 3. OR, Does someone first weed out the really bad stuff, then pass everything up the line for a more critical, second-stage review?4. Other... If it's a multi-tiered process, at what point does the critique happen?

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Screening process?

Post by davewalton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:14 pm

Quote:Does anyone know the details of how the screening process for "S" or "Y" listings usually works?1. Is it usually a multi-stage process, starting out with many tunes that are eliminated during a first-stage screening, then someone else listens to all semi-finalists, then the finalists are chosen from that batch, and so on until it's narrowed town to the tunes that are forwarded?2. OR, does the person (or people) assigned to a particular listing listen to every single submission and make the final decisions on the spot as they work their way through the entire pile? 3. OR, Does someone first weed out the really bad stuff, then pass everything up the line for a more critical, second-stage review?4. Other... If it's a multi-tiered process, at what point does the critique happen?I kind of know the answer but this is a job for...SUPER TAXISEBASTIAN! While you're at it Sebastian, if you don't mind, after answering WheelinWV's question above, could you also refresh me (us) on what all the prefixes mean (like "S" and "Y" and whatever other of these might exist)?Thanks,Dave

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:11 am

Super TaxiSebastian must be busy so I'll answer to what I know...There's no multi-stage thing. Listings with a large amount of submissions might be split up between screeners that specialize in that particular genre but the decision and the critique is that of the screener that screens your submission. They listen to the entire track and then make a decision based on the track as it relates to the existing listing. The critique, from what I understand, is based mostly on the song itself. That's why a single song can get forwarded for a listing and returned for another or why a song that gets all 10's can be returned - "not on target for the listing". In terms of forwards and returns, it's all about the relationship between the song and the listing for which it's submitted . Once all the submissions have been screened, the results are released to the members who submitted. Then those that are forwarded pre-order their new Maserati's in anticipation of a lifetime of lucrative income. OK, I made up the very last thing but for the rest of it, that's the way I understand it . Dave

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:21 am

If I can add to this question.... what happens when a listing says a 'listee' will screen all submissions themselves -- do they actually listen to all the submissions, and, if so, do they listen all the way through?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:27 pm

Quote:If I can add to this question.... what happens when a listing says a 'listee' will screen all submissions themselves -- do they actually listen to all the submissions, and, if so, do they listen all the way through? When I read the last part of your question I thought it's obvious if they don't like the first five seconds they won't like the remaining 2.55 but then I thought about it for 5 seconds and it occoured to me that the remaining 2.55 might be brilliant.Having said that though I bet if they don't like the first 5 they will hit the stop button especially if it's a listee.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:41 am

I'd like to add to the question as well. Can we order any color of Maserati or just the stock colors? And what if the Taxi member prefers Lambroghinis?
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

tacksea007
Active
Active

Post by tacksea007 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:47 am

Hey All,Sebastian here, let me try to clear things up a bit. All the responses have been on target so I'll just sum everything up. "S" listings and listings that are "screened and critiqued" "Y" listings are critiqued "YES or NO" only and "D" listings are for dispatch and they too are screened on a "YES or NO" basis only. If it states that a listee will screen, this means that the screener is working for the company that is running the listing. In general they do listen to all of the submissions for that particular listing. If they are unable to screen every song than they will review the forwards before sending it on.NO screener only listens to 5 seconds of a song. We are trained here at TAXI to at the very least listen through to the bridge. If it is "screened by the listee" and it's a yes/no than we might cut it shorter. Obviously this is a situation where the screener knows exactly what they're looking for, so a decision can be made more easily. We do not feel that a song can be properly critiqued unless it is examined to the bridge. Lastly, the screening process is usually not tiered however on our higher bar listing's we do have someone review the forwards and make sure that everything is up to par. Hope this helps. Be sure to send any more questions my way.Thanks.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:27 am

Here's an analogy, food for thought: Imagine a box of chocolates. Now imagine a stack of boxes of chocolates. Your job, is to taste every chocolate in every box. Bet ya can't eat them all, and you might get pretty tired of tasting chocolate. Then imagine half the chocolates are not even close to edible, and you still have to try them all. That's how I imagine a screener's gig. Would you still like chocolate?

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:36 am

I have visions of some poor screener listing to a really crappy song, his finger resting on the Taxi "gong" button, just dyin' to kill that sucker . . . after about six and a half minutes it finally dawns on him . . "Hey, there is no bridge!!!"

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:40 am

Quote:Hope this helps. Be sure to send any more questions my way.Thanks.Sebastian,First of all-- thanks for checking in here on the forum! It's great to be able to get this kind of info.I have some questions. When a song, photo, bio is forwarded to a client, is that an electronic version or is a CD burned. Also, if it is electronic, do they get a link to the song or is the mp3 attached. Just curious on the one hand, but also interested in what happens if the bio, photo, or uploaded track is revised by the Taxi member somewhere in the process.Thanks again,Aub