American Idol Songwriting Contest: You?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

American Idol Songwriting Contest: You?

Post by andreh » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:02 pm

Anyone planning to enter this contest? I am. Only five more days to write your masterpiece!Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: American Idol Songwriting Contest: You?

Post by hummingbird » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:29 pm

I can't enter, you (and your co-writers) have to be American citizens. At this point they have more than 50,000 entries. I figure they'll get 100,000 or so, at $10 a pop - they'll make a cool million or more on the contest. As I always say, 'there is money to be made in songwriting contests. Unfortunately, it's not the songwriter's who are making it'.I hope you win
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:06 am

I do not have anything ready for the show. My daughter called and urged me to enter. She watches it. I see it is too late anyway unless you have something appropriate ready to ship. I've seen the show a few times, not enough to know what to send.

bitwhys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bitwhys » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:59 am

Quote:I can't enter, you (and your co-writers) have to be American citizens...Same here. Their loss but come on here. I can understand them wanting homegrown talent on the stage but get serious. We're talking about buying some other national's work and taking the bow for it. What could be more American than that?
"Its a curious thing that God learned Greek when he wished to turn author - and that he did not learn it better" - Nietzsche

peter

Post by peter » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:26 pm

yes! i recorded it last night with 2 bandmates and uploaded it today...

grandmatarkin
Impressive
Impressive

Post by grandmatarkin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:48 pm

Ahh damn... I have the perfect song for this too! But I'm canadian www.broadjam.com/davidbroderick ... the song is called "Sweetest Whisper". Oh well. Dave(take a listen, won't you? )

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:23 pm

You've got some good songs Dave. I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up with a hit or two. There is little for me to criticise, but If I was pushed I would say that the vocal timing and expression were a little out. A bit like having a new song and singing it off a lyric sheet. It's difficult to give the song vocal feeling without having known it for a while.I think you would be wasting that song if you'd of put it up for that contest. A Taxi listing is a much better alternative.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

grandmatarkin
Impressive
Impressive

Post by grandmatarkin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:59 am

Haha ... Jeffe, you nailed it. She was singing it for the first time, basically. I tried to tidy things up after on my own though.Actually, I just got offered a publishing deal for that song, but it's a smaller publisher so I don't know what to do about it. It's not like people are banging on my door for the song Two-year reversion clause, contract looks good. It's also been forwarded a few times, so i know that the SECOND I sign the contract and put it in the mail, i'm going to get a call from one of the companies it was forwarded to. At any rate, thanks for the comments! I hope I have a hit or two as well. Hell, I'll take just one Dave

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:08 am

Quote:If I need more intense relentless rejection, uncaring sadistic put-downs, and want my heart to be torn out and flattened like a stomped-on horn toad before a national audience, well, yes, I'll enter!I heard Simon Cowells's rougher cousin, Norman "Marquis de Sade" Bates, is going to be a judge...... Isn't that why we do this?
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:40 am

I was just about to enter a song for which I co-wrote lyrics and then I read the agreement. Each writer/co-writer has to be an American citizen. My co-writers for that song were from Europe... A shame... The reason I wanted to enter it was that the song could show off a good vocal range. I only co-wrote lyrics. It's on my bjam profile and it's called "I Drift Away". I understand that that 10-20 songs out of some 50,000 will be selected... I think I'll buy a lottery ticket today. Casey