Fascinating trivia anyone?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Fascinating trivia anyone?

Post by jeffe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:16 pm

I've seen trivia on here before, but I love a bit of fascinating trivia, so I'll kick of with a couple of questions.The first one shouldn't be too difficult.It is claimed that the song 'American pie' by 'Don Mclean' covers the death of 'Buddy Holly', but I don't think Don has ever explained the meaning to anyone. He said He'll take it to his grave. My question is. Who had a hit with a song about 'Don Mclean' and what was it called?My second question is one of my favourites.Dire Straits hat a hit with a song called 'Money for nothing'. The video won awards I think. If you know the song, you'll also know that 'Sting' is singing in the background. There is a particular reason why they chose 'Sting' to sing. Do you know the reason?I'd love to hear some more amazing trivia questions.Anybody got some golden nuggets?
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Fascinating trivia anyone?

Post by allends » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:05 pm

Quote:My question is. Who had a hit with a song about 'Don Mclean' and what was it called?Roberta Flack: "Killing Me Softly"

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Quote:Dire Straits hat a hit with a song called 'Money for nothing'. The video won awards I think. If you know the song, you'll also know that 'Sting' is singing in the background. There is a particular reason why they chose 'Sting' to sing. Do you know the reason?Sting wrote the line "I Want My MTV" which sounds like "Don't Stand So Close To Me". It was a kind of self effacing joke.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:50 pm

Yep. and Yep Allen.I'll try and think of some more. The only thing I can think of at the moment is 'Otis redding' and 'Dock of the bay'. Why the whistle?

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:29 am

Quote:Yep. and Yep Allen.I'll try and think of some more. The only thing I can think of at the moment is 'Otis redding' and 'Dock of the bay'. Why the whistle?I've never been that good at trivia. If I tried to answer your question, you'd hear the sound of a loud buzzer going off.

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:19 am

Quote:...'Otis redding' and 'Dock of the bay'. Why the whistle?OK, you stumped me on that one so I cheated and looked it up on Google. If you don't mind, I'll offer the hint: It has something to do with a plane.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:51 am

It does I suppose.While people chew on that one. Here's another.Remember "Wandrin' Star" by Lee Marvin. It was released as a single. What song was on the B Side?