Hip-hop producers

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

prafitjosiah
Active
Active

Hip-hop producers

Post by prafitjosiah » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:13 pm

Are their any Hip-hop producers on here that have gotten forwards? I'd like to hear of your experiences since that's mostly what I produce. Hip-hop and R&B

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Hip-hop producers

Post by sgs4u » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Quote:Are their any Hip-hop producers on here that have gotten forwards? I'd like to hear of your experiences since that's mostly what I produce. Hip-hop and R&B WelcomeThe simple answer to your question is yes, but see who else responds. 3 forwards and counting, since November. But I have wasted quite a few $5 dollar bills learning the ropes. Read the listings very carefully. If your song doesn't sound anything like the artists the mention in the listing, I would advise against submitting. There are tons of things I've seen that work for me, but getting the stuff out the door always takes more time than I think I have. LOL steve

prafitjosiah
Active
Active

Post by prafitjosiah » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:40 pm

Help me out on learning the ropes... What should I NOT do?

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:34 pm

Praf-Your cuts have style; I think you're on the right track. A few thoughts:- Be aware that your Christian-oriented lyrics will eliminate your tunes from widespread commercial desirability outside the realm of "inspirational" contexts; make sure you're targeting these kinds of listings or the most you'll get are some good critiques.- From a performance standpoint, I like your delivery...but it could be tightened up in some places. There's a difference between "feel" and "slop" and to me, you border on sloppy sometimes.- From a production standpoint, your beats sound fantastic but your vocals lack presence and punch; try compressing them more and boosting ~2-3kHz, or try a 1-2dB low shelf cut at ~300Hz to bring them more to the front. A multi-band compressor on the mid and high freq's might help as well.- If you're using beats that someone else created, please make sure you've obtained the appropriate rights to do so in a commercial context. Taxi has specific rules about submissions, so read the Terms of Service agreement carefully before submitting.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

prafitjosiah
Active
Active

Post by prafitjosiah » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Thanks for the critiques I really appreciate it. I currently don't own a compressor... I figured that with the Christian lyrics.I make my own music, so I'm trying to possibly submit my beats

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:57 pm

Actually, hip hop is not all that popular as far as writing songs for artists. What I mean by that is that most hip hop artists write their own lyrics and look for hot beats.I'm not a member of TAXI but I've been following them for a few years to know that you probably will be disappointed making Christian hip hop and submitting it. Not a lot of demand for it in the listings. Probably would be better for you to network on Myspace and really form some tight relationships with artists on there. Another alternative, however, is just submitting the beats for film and T.V. You'll probably have way more success.Hit me up on Myspace.Peace.P.R.E.Z.463 Sound
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:58 pm

Welcome PJ,I'm with Andreh. Cool beats but the entire track sounds a bit dull (sonically, not musically). I've had a few successes with Hip hop tracks, but it's not my forte, so I do know if I could offer any other advise.Hey, hows the snow up the in Rochester? You buried or what? I heard you guys got 10 feet. Z

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:07 am

Hi Prafit,I'm also doing some HipHop & RnB, actually signed a deal for one track through taxi and currently got tracks in several mtv shows (..that happended outside of taxi).I agree with the points that André said, though I don't understand all the lyrics (I'm Swiss..;)cheers,Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

prafitjosiah
Active
Active

Post by prafitjosiah » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:53 am

Just to clarify... I AM LOOKING TO SUBMIT BEATS... not sell my Christian lyrics or try to submit Christian songs. I have many beats not displayed online yet.With that said, are their any Hip-hop producers on here that have gotten forwards? I'd like to hear of your experiences since that's mostly what I produce. Hip-hop and R&B

prez
Impressive
Impressive

Post by prez » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:13 am

Oh...well just so you know, submitting for Christian hip hop is not a good idea. Just playin.
Truth Music - Music You Can Live To
http://www.4Six3Sound.com
prez@4six3sound.com
Twitter: 4Six3_Sound