Publishing Rights when signing exclusive deals

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

og
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Publishing Rights when signing exclusive deals

Post by og » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:34 pm

Thanks to all of you for some useful info.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:28 pm

MattAs usual you are dispensing highly useful information. I have anoyther question.From previous reading on the board I have wondered if you track all your pieces that are out there being used? I thought I remembered your having cprrected one of the PR's about where, when or how long one of your pieces aired.I wouldn't even think such a job was feasible for somene interested in spending as much time as possible creating and producing music. Do you have someone else do it?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:03 pm

Quote:From previous reading on the board I have wondered if you track all your pieces that are out there being used? I thought I remembered your having cprrected one of the PR's about where, when or how long one of your pieces aired.I wouldn't even think such a job was feasible for somene interested in spending as much time as possible creating and producing music. Do you have someone else do it?No you can't really track everything if you have a decent size catalog. I try to keep an eye on TV placements I'm made aware of, try to tivo and watch them when I can. For a major movie you try to get a foreign box office breakdown, so you can tell which countries it did well in...then if nothing shows up from those countries you can go complain.So far I found two mistakes myself (in both cases the cue sheet had been filled out incorrectly), and a few more mistakes were found by publishers (remember the publisher will also keep an eye on things, as PRO/cuesheet mistakes affect them equally). I'm sure we missed some stuff but overall I'd say the system works reasonably well considering its complexity...

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:14 pm

Thanks, Matt.Wiw, I shure caint spelle tooday. Mustt bee righting to phast.