Big ASCAP $$!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Big ASCAP $$!

Post by ernstinen » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:32 pm

This has to be the high point of my career! I got an ASCAP International Distribution statement today. My total was 6 cents! But the amount of the check was $0.00. Mailing me this information cost ASCAP 29 cents. I love the world of high finance! Ern

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Big ASCAP $$!

Post by edteja » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:46 am

Just remember to deduct the 6 cents you didn't get as a business expense from your huge tax bill for music income.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:32 pm

Quote:Just remember to deduct the 6 cents you didn't get as a business expense from your huge tax bill for music income.HaHaha!Well I've been billing my Visa card for all musical expenses JUST IN CASE I make a profit this year.I'm hearing the money coming in at any moment ---Ern

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:24 am

Congratulations Ernstinen! You are now a professional songwriter as you are earning money from your craft, in theory anyway. There are many songwriters who have never made even .06 out of their songs. You've surpassed thousands of them. Just add a few zeros to your income over time and you'll be laughing.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:08 am

Doesn't necessarily work pitterpatter... I keep adding zeros to my income and the bank manager still frowns when I see her.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:15 am

HeyI got my ASCAP International distribution too! It was for 26 cents which was then deducted off resulting in a balance of $0 and no check... And yes, they spent 29 cents on the postage... Well, it's better to have earned 26 cents and lost it than to never have earned at all... cAsEy

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:38 am

..lol, I had for the last 2 years only some "5 $" cheques from my society - this year it's high enough to fly in holidays to Mallorca, so not so bad... and this is just the backend of 1 CD I did 2 years ago (...it needs some time to get the money from foreign countries).So keep on it, and there will come higher cheques;)cheers,Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:50 pm

Quote:Doesn't necessarily work pitterpatter... I keep adding zeros to my income and the bank manager still frowns when I see her. Try adding those zeros to the right, not to the left.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:27 am

Golly Nomi, I knew I was doing something wrong!

johnodd

Post by johnodd » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:10 pm

Getting an Instrumental royalty check is a big step. No matter how much it's for. Congradulations, seriously!John