9 months at Taxi

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

9 months at Taxi

Post by liamkelly » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:01 am

So.. after lurking through these pages for quite a while I thought I'd chuck my two cent piece on the pile.Nine months at Taxi and how has it been? Well I started out making it difficult for myself - although I have a good home studio I cannot mix well enough so I have to keep going to professional studios to finish tracking and mixing and if I don't keep my head on my shoulders it's going to cost me a lot of time and money. For nothing.I'm 40, gave up gigging and chasing the dream long ago and am content writing my 4 chord turnarounds. I started with Taxi and only 2 professionally recorded songs. I have submitted them so often I think the reviewers are praying I'll get a deal so they don't have to listen to them any more. (Have new songs now, guys, relax!).My forward rate is about 40%. I got real excited with my first forward and cooled off when I heard nothing. Still a great feeling to get a forward though. Me an insignificant three chord trickster in the middle of Africa and some LA dude with years of experience forwards me. It's no record deal but shit it makes me feel good.And then out of the blue an email from a publishing company. A contract. Registration, publishing. Wow. I know. Nothing will come of this either. But second best for me is being on a library's books. And seeing as how I've have hit second or first best so rarely in my life, I have to regard the last 9 months as all good stuff. No record deal, no licensing, no world tour but lots of happy vibes in Africa. Liam KellyJohannesburgwww.liamkellylive.com

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 9 months at Taxi

Post by davewalton » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:47 pm

Quote:I started with Taxi and only 2 professionally recorded songs. I have submitted them so often I think the reviewers are praying I'll get a deal so they don't have to listen to them any more. Now there's a strategy for getting more forwards that I never thought of. Quote:My forward rate is about 40%. I got real excited with my first forward and cooled off when I heard nothing. Think of a forward as being slightly better than sending a blind demo. Sending one and then waiting for a deal would be a little too easy. However, a forward does say a lot about your music as well as your own ability to identify and place your music within the listings. Quote:And then out of the blue an email from a publishing company. A contract. Registration, publishing. Wow. I know. Nothing will come of this either. But second best for me is being on a library's books. And seeing as how I've have hit second or first best so rarely in my life, I have to regard the last 9 months as all good stuff. The only thing I'd add is that as you add new songs to your own catalog, "gently push yourself forward" (Traveling Ed) by letting the publisher know that you have new material and asking if they'd like to hear it. As a member of their library you already have status so build your catalog through them as well as developing new contacts through Taxi and other places.Good post.Dave

neuphoria
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by neuphoria » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:20 pm

hey, congrats! you should feel good. keep it up!

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:33 am

Good news, mate. Keep on keeping on.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin