Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

Post by hitwriter » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:46 pm

In the recent Bulletin Board sidebar appearing in the TAXI section of the August 2006 Issue of Recording Magazine Kenny Kerner states:"Rick Rubin's production of the Dixie Chicks CD really made it shine. This is their most professional sounding CD to date. The current Chicks radio backlash will only help them sell Cd's and win fans in the long run. Funny but I always thought this country was founded on Americans being able to speak what's on their minds! Guess I better check to see if anyone changed the Bill of Rights while I was asleep!"While I certainly feel Kenny and the Dixie Chicks are entitled their opinions, I did not join TAXI to read political views, though the Dixie Chicks "scandal" for lack of a better term can't help but be brought up with their mention.So here goes... radio does not have any obligation to play any recording it feels might cause listeners to turn the dial. They have advertisers to answer to in choosing their programming. If Pd's feel listener's no longer care for the Chicks music (as talented as they may be), they have a obligation to stay employed.The listening public has every right to disagree with a voiced political opinion a recording artist opts to speak. If this means not buying their product or tuning out a station that plays their music, they too can exercise their freedom.No one has made an argument that the Chicks did not have a right to say what they felt. No one has infringed on their freedom within the "Bill of Rights"But it is within the same document that allows those offended by their words or actions in disagreement to ignore what they have say!They (The Dixie Chicks) have the freedom to speak within the "Bill of Rights", just no guarantee of an audience.Other than that, if the "Bulletin Board" section is to be an op-ed, it should be labeled as such or given another name more in keeping with a column, not a listing.Any opinions?

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

Post by mani » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:06 pm

Yeah. When I listen to Beethoven it doesn't bother me one bit that he was an asshole. Why people can't just judge the music on its own merits and disregard anything else is beyond my understanding.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:36 pm

Quote:Yeah. When I listen to Beethoven it doesn't bother me one bit that he was an asshole. Why people can't just judge the music on its own merits and disregard anything else is beyond my understanding.Right on, Mani. I love Beethoven; he's the best. But reading his bio makes me think he was an a-hole. So was Debussy. And Lennon. And McCartney. And me. And you. Who cares.Bill Clinton loved Monica's asshole, but he was a great president, IMHO. Leave the personal stuff alone.Ern

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:57 am

Quote:[quote author=mani board=general thread=1155962789 post=1155964014]...Bill Clinton loved Monica's asshole, but he was a great president, IMHO. Leave the personal stuff alone.Ern You mean the cigar went THERE too? Casey

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:35 am

If you insult peoples religion, politics, children, dog, etc., even with good intentions, you've made enemies. Or at least they won't patronize you anymore. Anita Bryant did it, it was a time when she thought most would agree with her views. And maybe they did but promoters wouldn't touch her anymore.I don't care what they believe, but the chicks insulted me publicly. That is my perception (and perception is real). I will not help pay for them to go around the world spreading propaganda against what I believe.
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:47 am

Quote:I don't care what they believe, but the chicks insulted me publicly.What did they say to you Drew?

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:06 am

Quote:Will! I like your music and the way you sing!Great emotional vocals! If you are refering to my music, thank you. But I am only singing on a few of my demos... I have some other great singers on most of them.

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:18 am

Quote:What did they say to you Drew?They said my kids were ugly, my faith is unfounded, my politics are unsupported, my dog is stupid and my guitar playing is amateur.I guess that's pretty much the same thing they said to all the folks that no longer patronize them. It's an action/reaction kind of thing.
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:50 am

Quote:Quote:What did they say to you Drew?They said my kids were ugly, my faith is unfounded, my politics are unsupported, my dog is stupid and my guitar playing is amateur.I guess that's pretty much the same thing they said to all the folks that no longer patronize them. It's an action/reaction kind of thing.Now if they said your kids were unfounded, your faith ugly, your politics stupid, your dog amateur and your guitar playing unsupported would that have been okay?! Seriously though. Don't go leaving the States any time soon if you're that sensitive to their sort of political opinion. It's pretty much the consensus view of the rest of the planet.

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:02 am

I'm with you Drew. As a Army veteran, I'm always dismayed at some american's unsolicited hate for the republic that protects their freedoms. (The same country whose messy but democratic freedoms have made them fat(er) and rich.) However, as much as I might disagree with their behavior, as a soldier I took an oath to put my life on the line, if need be, for their right to be jerks, or to burn the flag for that matter. Some americans seem to want to deny those same freedoms to those of us who don't drink dixie cool aid. I don't have to listen to their music, buy their records, or support them in any way...it's my freedom of choice one might call it. And it works both ways.As for mani's planet consensus: ;-) would this be the same planet that would be speaking exclusively German or Japanese these days if it wasn't for america? Of course this could be the planetary consensus that doesn't mind if their daughters grow up as slaves to muslim sharia law. (Google it up) snopes-proof-facts: 25% of the world's population claims to be muslim; they however provide less than 1% of all world aid. The dastardly U.S. is 5% of the worlds population and provides over 70% of world aid. That in the face of an increasingly fascist/dictator loving "world?" media. Back to the chickies: I'm probably in the minority, but when Americans choose a president, I believe we all should put our political preferences aside and support the office. For the record: I liked Carter, didn't like Reagan, didn't like Bush 1, liked Perot, didn't like Clinton, didn't like Bush 2. But once the vote is counted, no matter how close, it's incumbent upon us all to support (for 4 years our national executive. The alternative is, we demoralize those risk their lives to defend our republic -- (and speaking of chicks), that's a bird we don't want to come home to roost. Songs in the works: Red State Neck of the Woods, and, Fly Over This! bc