Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Kenny Kerner and the Dixie Chicks

Post by hitwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:53 pm

For the record (regarding the topic to the mods) my original post on this thread was to ask TAXI (K. Kerner) the very question, why I am reading his political views in "Bulletin Board".I quoted his words, and made my own response since he (Kerner) felt the need to voice his in a forum where no response could be made, or to assume that all creative minds were of alike liberal bias.When I asked "any opinions" I did not intend to turn this into a political thread but to find out if any one else agreed with me opposing Kerner using the TAXI section of "Recording" to voice a personal opinion on radio dissing the Chicks.Not to make this a DC debate.If TAXI or Kenny tells me that the "Bullentin Board" section is Kenny's free column to voice opinion, then I will know to avoid it since I know his bias. Look folks, I realise this is nit picking. But that is exactly what I feel Kenny did by throwing in his 2 cents. Why would/should I care if he thinks radio is treating the Chicks unfair?If he (Kerner) wants to comment on radio, how about shrinking playlists, corporate takeovers etc... problems that matter to those of us trying to take it to that level. Not as to whether or not the Chicks make 40 million this year or 20 million. TAXI should could stick to the business of connecting songwriters and artists with industry decision makers and keep personal politics out of the equation. Whoever edits the insert should have known this.I wish God's blessings to all! Including Kerner and TAXI!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:44 pm

Quote:I'm probably in the minority, but when Americans choose a president, I believe we all should put our political preferences aside and support the office. For the record: I liked Carter, didn't like Reagan, didn't like Bush 1, liked Perot, didn't like Clinton, didn't like Bush 2. But once the vote is counted, no matter how close, it's incumbent upon us all to support (for 4 years our national executive. The alternative is, we demoralize those risk their lives to defend our republic -- (and speaking of chicks), that's a bird we don't want to come home to roost. I'm gonna break my rule about not getting involved in political discussions on this board because I find this statement fascinating, in a Spock sort of way . Growing up in Switzerland, which is another reasonably well working democracy, I was taught that if you didn't agree with where your elected leaders were taking your country, it was your democratic right, your duty even, to speak up. This whole concept that it's only a democracy once every four years, and that in between one should just shut up and blindly follow the leader(s) is quite foreign to me, to be honest. But if this is the consensus opinion of the majority of Americans, it would explain a lot ...like why somebody who would publicly voice their dissatisfaction with certain policies of a certain administration would be branded an America hating ingrate, which is something I've never understood.Surely it must be possible to love one's country even while being unhappy with the direction that politicians, or even the majority of one's fellow citizens, are taking it? Isn't that the very basis of pluralism?matto

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:51 pm

Quote:For the record (regarding the topic to the mods) my original post on this thread was to ask TAXI (K. Kerner) the very question, why I am reading his political views in "Bulletin Board"....Look folks, I realise this is nit picking. But that is exactly what I feel Kenny did by throwing in his 2 cents. Why would/should I care if he thinks radio is treating the Chicks unfair?If he (Kerner) wants to comment on radio, how about shrinking playlists, corporate takeovers etc... problems that matter to those of us trying to take it to that level. Not as to whether or not the Chicks make 40 million this year or 20 million. TAXI should could stick to the business of connecting songwriters and artists with industry decision makers and keep personal politics out of the equation. Whoever edits the insert should have known this.Your point is well taken, and I agree with you. However if you'd like a response from Taxi or Kenny Kerner, it would be best to email Taxi directly and politely voice your dissatisfaction with Kenny's political statement that way. The forum is not the best place for that, IMHO.

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:32 pm

True, but I had hoped for a consensus (and still seek) from other TAXI members that could be used to augment my grievance.Your opinion has been respectively noted.Thank you.

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:58 pm

Quote:>>You should learn a bit about how this works as it's absolutely fascinating.<<Brother mani, the esoteric aspects of geopolitical machinations past and present notwithstanding, you make a predictably euro-errant assumption that an American patriot can't understand "how this works." BC, The quote above is me encouraging you to polish up on the issue. Hardly the words of a man who thinks an American patriot "can't understand" these things! It's only logic to assume you don't know how it works yet coz if you did you wouldn't be using it as a "pro" in talking about American virtue. I certainly would never use it as a "pro" when talking about Europe because I know better. But I didn't always. The 'Aid' program is one of the most insidious ways of keeping countries poor.Quote:It doesn't take much more than a pedestrian intellect to understand the empirical fact as to "how this works."I agree and heartily encourage your impending studies!!Quote:But it does take exceptional wisdom, strength and patience to overlook a world filled with pop culture ingrates.Haven't a clue what this means or to whom it's referring.Quote:BTW: No chest beating here so don't do the aljazeera spin on my well meant words. If people are going to constantly deride the U.S. then I'm going to remind those who would have a conscience of why they enjoy some form of freedom from tyrants. Remember Mussolini? "Don't Do The Aljazeera Spin!" BC, This is exactly the sort of ridiculous statement that makes outside observers just shake their heads. Seriously silly in a Dr. Strangelove kinda way. I'm not spinning anything. And nowhere on this thread has anyone been derisive about the US. Nowhere. Go and point out where it is. The fact is, you're just bringing something up that's irrelevant to the current issue and it serves no purpose but to breast-beat. If that's the road you want to go that's fine but it only makes it harder to relate to the reasonable things you do say. You do want people to be receptive to your message surely??

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:26 pm

Quote:Quote:I'm probably in the minority, but when Americans choose a president, I believe we all should put our political preferences aside and support the office. I'm gonna break my rule about not getting involved in political discussions on this board because I find this statement fascinating, in a Spock sort of way . Growing up in Switzerland, which is another reasonably well working democracy, I was taught that if you didn't agree with where your elected leaders were taking your country, it was your democratic right, your duty even, to speak up. This whole concept that it's only a democracy once every four years, and that in between one should just shut up and blindly follow the leader(s) is quite foreign to me, to be honest. But if this is the consensus opinion of the majority of Americans, it would explain a lot ...like why somebody who would publicly voice their dissatisfaction with certain policies of a certain administration would be branded an America hating ingrate, which is something I've never understood.Surely it must be possible to love one's country even while being unhappy with the direction that politicians, or even the majority of one's fellow citizens, are taking it? Isn't that the very basis of pluralism?mattoI'll break my rule about not discussing politics in music chat rooms by saying, wow, Matt, you really hit that nail on the head. With your brain and accent, you should run for Governer of California and it would be a great improvement. Obviously, I don't blindly support someone just because they are in office.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:23 pm

Quote:[I'll break my rule about not discussing politics in music chat rooms by saying, wow, Matt, you really hit that nail on the head. With your brain and accent, you should run for Governer of California and it would be a great improvement. Obviously, I don't blindly support someone just because they are in office. I've been following Neil Young's career, and he's gone to the Republican camp and back. Now he's seen the light. I saw it coming in "Rockin' In The Free World," and now he's really getting into saying what he feels. Good for him!Ern

hitwriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by hitwriter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:54 pm

So I am going to assume that as of this moment, no one really cares about the the original intent and spirit of my thread. It was not to spark political debate, but in responding to Kerner, suggest that it not be part of TAXI.When Kerner put his 2 cents into the Chicks debate, in ink, in a TAXI publication... should he have? I responded here to challenge him and ask the question from other members.Is it OK for Kerrner to defend the Chicks only if you agree with him, or should he have kept his opinions to himself, regardless of where you stand on the debate.Did you join TAXI to read political points of view non related to it's members success. Unless a single TAXI member has a song on the Chicks new CD, it matters not.I keep reading "I don't want to discuss politics, but..."This is not about your politics folks... it's about TAXI using a publication we in essence pay for as a political voice.I look forward to the inserts, the interviews and profiles they attach to "Recording" But I shouldn't be subjected to opinions on issues that have nothing to do with my career! And if they choose to publish opinion that I disagree with, then expect a counter point. I could care less what anyone here thinks about the politics of the Chicks, Neil Young, George Bush or Kerner etc... put it in a song and I'll choose to listen/ignore, buy it or diss it.If you think it's OK for Kerner to voice a bias using TAXI, then just say so. If not then just say so.

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:42 pm

To quote that well known philosopher and Sage Johnny Dean."what the f has this got to do with music"j

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:53 pm

Hitwriter, I think you just wanted to instigate some kind of political debate with no real basis for discussion.So what if Kerner thinks that radio has been unfair to the Dixie Chicks. He's entitled to his opinion, same as you, and you have the right to read it or not, the same as you have the right to listen to the radio or not. I don't really see why you're so agrieved by his comments. I crave personal opinion from writers, otherwise all you get is unbiased text which reads like an instruction manual.I'm from the UK but now live in Italy and a comment like his wouldn't even cause a flicker on anyones radar in these two countries.The other day I was watching TV and Allessandra Mussolini (grand-daughter of the famous dictator who happens to be a politician here :/ ) came out with this comment in reaction to here opponents who said that her views on homosexuals and immigrants were the product of old world facism "Better facist than queer"...on prime time TV. Most Italians just laugh it off, in fact many Italians probably agree with her. I've met lots who wish that they still had a dictator.The thing which scares me about your comment is that you wish to water down the content of someones editorial to eliminate what you see as anti Bush administration comments...which for you translates as anti-American (not the same thing).I remember very clearly 9/11 because it was the same week my first single was released. I remember back then that for reasons of sensitivity any songs which were concidered anti-American, refering to planes etc were removed from radio...in fact I remember my record label getting really panicky because some of my lyrics refered to planes.The worst thing though was that anyone who had an outspoken view against the American government (not it's people but it's leaders) were banned. Rage Against the Machine had their entire back catalogue deleted. Massive Attack were blanket banned from radio because they had a song called "Bomb the Pentagon", but wierdly enough the Dixie Chicks, who were really just a bunch of pretty country singers, were subjected to a radio ban because they said they were ashamed to come from the same state as Bush.....seems a bit extreme, doesn't it? It's not like any of their songs said this or eluded to this, but because they made these views in an interview their songs were banned...hmmmm.It's a fact that before 911 Bush was the least popular president in American history. After 911 he was able to do pretty much what he wanted. Bush is not America, he is a voted leader and expressing views against him does not equal anti-American. If I say that Kerry is a prick does it mean I'm Anti-American? No! Why....what's the difference, they're both politicians except one has his finger on the button and the other doesn't.Matto (the wise old man of the board) is right about Europeans been more open minded when it comes to freedom of speech. In England I marched against the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. Even after months of spin, over half the UK population were against the war and people openly attacked Blair on TV, in print in music....that's what freedom of speech is all about.One thing that this thread has opened my eyes to is that my songs, which are sometimes about immigration, war, religion, probably won't go down very well with you if you get so upset by such a small comment: and that's relevant to my career as a musician, which I suppose augments Kerners original comments.