Performing rights nightmare

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johnodd

Performing rights nightmare

Post by johnodd » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:28 pm

So i had a bunch of placements about a year ago, and my PRO has not paid me yet. When i was supposed to be paid, but wasnt, they said they never got the cue sheets. Luckily i had them, so i sent them in. Now i get my next check, and the placements arent there. I call my PRO and they say "we never got the cue sheets from the network" so i told them i sent them months ago directly to the cue sheet dept. Then i proceeded to get the run around. Does anyone have any similar stories and/or advice?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Performing rights nightmare

Post by matto » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:58 am

I've never gotten the run around per se, but it does happen from time to time that payments are missed. My advice is to find an individual at your PRO's writer's relations dept and always deal with that individual. Of course if they tell you to send cue sheets to the cue sheet dept you should do that but stay in continuous touch with your writer's relations person about it until the matter is resolved.That has worked well for me with my PRO but of course YMMV. It depends on the PRO and often the particular office and individual. I have definitely run into people who were less than helpful, but overall my experience has been positive.Btw this is another situation when having a publisher helps, cause often time your publisher will take care of these things for you (and will usually have more clout...).matto