How many are both writers AND publishers?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

feloniuspunk
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

How many are both writers AND publishers?

Post by feloniuspunk » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:05 pm

I noticed in some recent listings that the "deal" the lister is offering is that you get 100% of the writer's royalties and they get 100% of the publishers royalties.I'm sure many of you are smart enough to realize that writers get 50% of royalty profits and publishers get the other 50% of royalty profits.That's why I registered myself as a publisher when I "published" my first CD. I am holding out for deals where I can get both halves of the royalties. My publishing company is called Patiwak Publishing:http://www.broadjam.com/userimages/10585_45389.jpgIt's easy to become a publisher. Have you put out your own CD? Guess what, you quailfy! I just think it's kind of dumb to turn over half of the potential royalties to a stranger when you don't have to.I view these kind of licensing deals as shady and some of these shady folks are simply taking advantage of the uninformed, the innocent or the ignorant. Anyway, that's my two cents. I have been forwarded many times and have been offered "deals" where I'd have had to sign over my copyright to the company. I've turned them down. My copyright is all I really have to protect me. Why would I give that away?Opinions/comments?