Community Radio Stations

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hookjawbrown
Impressive
Impressive

Community Radio Stations

Post by hookjawbrown » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:06 am

I have, in my business plan, a goal of getting air play in as many west coast (USA) community radio stations as possible. I have been doing e-mail and walk-in presentations. Most stations are supportive of local music and will listen and pick a song that fits their format. One of community radio's stated goals is promotion of local music. Most of them have a blues show.My question is....has anyone else been doing this?Besides the internet searches, is there a list of community radio stations?You all are a fountain of information..........thanksle Hook
Hookjaw Brown

Pre-Cleared, One Stop, Acoustic Country Blues

www.taxi.com/hookjawbrown

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Community Radio Stations

Post by billg » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:06 pm

I was in a band in the 80's that managed a lot of scattered airplay. Then about 8 years ago I was in a band that managed to get a lot of college and indie radio aiplay all around the country and a little in Europe. In the 80's we managed to get the airplay in advance of local gigs which really helped both in show turnout and interest in the music. The last time around the airplay was cool & helped to sell a few cds (maybe) but didn't really help a lot because we weren't gigging. On the small specialty shows and indie community stations you will only get a few spins at best (sometimes only one), at least it was that way for us.The first time around we had a management company that arranged everything. This last time I believe most of the info came from The Indie Bible and the internet. Here's a link to info about The Indie Bible. http://www.indiebible.com/mw/Good Luck!

hookjawbrown
Impressive
Impressive

Post by hookjawbrown » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:56 pm

I have a chance to produce a community radio show. I need about 3500 songs, 10 to 20 commentaries, and a couple of four hour DJ shows. You know I will include friends in the play schedule, especially locals ( and my stuff).There will be teenagers involved who will choose music for their time slots as well as cowboy poets and cummunity comments.Since I have remote recording capability I wil also be broadcasting local events.Am looking for ideas.Le Hook
Hookjaw Brown

tower888
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tower888 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:14 am

One of my songs was played on a community radio station once (I also found that station through the "Indie Bible"). I seem to recall getting some kind of royalty off of it too... So maybe it's worth while?

hookjawbrown
Impressive
Impressive

Post by hookjawbrown » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:02 pm

Royalties and residuals ........yeah!!! It is what I am working for.le Hook
Hookjaw Brown