Interesting article on performance royalties

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

simonparker
Impressive
Impressive

Interesting article on performance royalties

Post by simonparker » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:15 am

http://soundcloud.com/simon-parker

developing artists for record deals since 2008

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Interesting article on performance royalties

Post by gitarrero » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:36 am

here's some info about the american organisation soundexchange:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundExchange
production, composition & stringed instruments

mewman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mewman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:59 am

My heart goes out to the poor radio stations. They get free content with no responsibility to pay for the usage, many times playing free versions supplied to them by publishers who can write off the copies as promotional (no money for the artist, again) and they can sell advertising and pay the people who work at the station. Sorry if I don't feel too bad for the ad sales person who may loose their job if the person who is buttering their bread should dare to want to get paid.Mewman

hookjawbrown
Impressive
Impressive

Post by hookjawbrown » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:10 am

I am involved in getting a community radio on the air (KKRN). It is an interesting dichotomy as an artist, wanting payment for airplay, and trying to get content out and advertising revenue in to support the cost of broadcasting. Just remember that all-talk radio pays nothing but a community radio station pays fees to ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC. Soon Soundscan.One of my favorite venues quit having music because of high fees demanded by ASCAP and BMI. That hurt!le Hook
Hookjaw Brown

Pre-Cleared, One Stop, Acoustic Country Blues

www.taxi.com/hookjawbrown

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:59 am

Jul 6, 2009, 1:10pm, hookjawbrown wrote:One of my favorite venues quit having music because of high fees demanded by ASCAP and BMI. That hurt!le HookI believe this is due more to lack of information than high cost. I work part time as a DJ and I see lots of club owners surprised to learn they have to pay the PRO's. It's usually not something they account for in their budget.In comparison to other cost, it's really not that much because the fee is determined partially on the size of the club, but many owners think that they don't really have to pay, or that they can get away without paying. 2 or 3 years go by then they're presented with legal action and left with either paying the full amount due or closing down. Many choose option 2, which leaves me having to look for new place to work...