music lawyers

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cmrmurray
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

music lawyers

Post by cmrmurray » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:19 am

Anyone have insight? I'm going to meet our lawyer in London tomorrow. Will they ever actually do anything to help a band get somewhere, or are they all but useless, sitting waiting for lucrative contracts to be brought to them?I should clarify that our lawyer said he'd listen to our album and suggest or put us in touch with suitable labels for it. I've been waiting a long time to hear back and am thinking he's too busy with his (admittedly huge) other clients.

chriscarter
Impressive
Impressive

Re: music lawyers

Post by chriscarter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:31 am

Music lawyers come in ALL kinds of varieties. Yes, there are some who only work on projects brought to them (ie. you need some contract work and pay them for their time). There are others who basically only shop artists and connect them with various business opportunities - much like a manager would. There are also many who do a little of both.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: music lawyers

Post by mojobone » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:39 pm

If the guy's well-connected, I recommend patience. Guys with "huge' clients seldom bother with groups of no potential; even if you see no apparent movement, so long as you hear from him from time to time-between say, every two weeks to twice in six months...making the right connection can take time.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone