Another SAG strike

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Another SAG strike

Post by guest4254 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:51 pm

From what I've been reading, it's looking more and more like there will be another actors strike. So for those of us looking to make a buck putting our songs in Film or TV...this could be a problem...and it couldn't come at a more economically worse time!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------SAG Sets Strike Vote for Jan. 2Associated Press, Dec 10 2008, 1:22 PM ETLOS ANGELES (AP) — The Screen Actors Guild says it will send strike authorization ballots to its 120,000 members on Jan. 2.The votes will be counted on Jan. 23, which will not be in time to potentially disrupt the Golden Globe Awards like the writers' strike did last year.Approval by 75 percent of members is required to pass the measure. If approved, the SAG national board can call a strike.Guild President Alan Rosenberg said in a statement Wednesday that the future of professional actors is at stake. The guild remains at odds with Hollywood studios over treatment of Internet productions and actor benefits in the event of unplanned work stoppages.

gburgess
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Another SAG strike

Post by gburgess » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:16 am

Thanks for the news.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:23 am

Well, there will still be reality shows and from what I've seen, they seem to use a lot more music than a traditional drama or sitcom. There are also less glamorous (but still good paying) markets out there that a strike probably wouldn't affect. So there should still be a lot of opportunity to make money from your music.-Steve

dovetail
Active
Active

Post by dovetail » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:42 am

Not likely to affect that much of the industry. As heard from a top level person at SAG who is opposed to a strike authorization:"If SAG takes a strike under the TV/Theatrical Contract it will not shut down the industry. SAG actors, 44,000 of which are also AFTRA actors, will continue to work on new TV shows as they will be produced using the AFTRA contract. It's reported that film work has been stockpiled for a year."

guest4254
Impressive
Impressive

Post by guest4254 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:56 pm

From what I've been reading, it looks like SAG members are more and more sympathetic with the economic situation right now, and probably won't push to strike....keep your fingers crossed....

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:16 am

I'm with Steve on this; reality shows use more production music, so a strike could end up being a boost for many of us. I think a strike may be unlikely, given the economic situation, but I think AFTRA is likely to strike in sympathy-they mostly refused to cross picket lines during the writers' strike. Unless they have a deal in place that covers internet downloads already, not sure if they do, they may have a stake in this.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone