Release Forms????

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

djbobm
Impressive
Impressive

Release Forms????

Post by djbobm » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:29 pm

Five years ago, I had some song demos made at some demo factories. The quality is very good, so I have submitted a couple of them to several listings. Since these were works for hire, would I need release forms for them to be used in a movie, TV show, or another project? I don't think that these studios are still in business so getting a release might be difficult.At the Rally, the topic of uncleared samples came up and got me thinking about the status of these songs.Thanks for any info.Bob

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Release Forms????

Post by claire » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:59 pm

Yes, you would need signed release forms from the singer(s) and musicians and the studio engineer if those demos are placed in a move/tv show/music library. Demos are not meant to generate income, just to demonstrate what the song sounds like so that another artist will record it. It's likely that the parties involved will want some sort of compensation in order to sign the release forms.If you have any contact information (phone no., fax no., email address) for the studios, you might want to see if they're still in business. If you know the names of your singers, you might want to do the same. Thing is, until the demos are picked up by a music library or for tv/film placements, I wouldn't worry about anything other than finding out if the studios and musicians/singers still exist. Other than that, you could wind up spending more in getting the release forms signed than you would make in the actual placements. I've spent a few hundred dollars in getting releases signed for demos that still have yet to be placed.It is something to think about, though, especially if you're looking at those kinds of placements.Claire

djbobm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by djbobm » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:52 pm

Thanks Claire! I'm glad I asked.Bob

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:24 pm

Great thread Bob! Not only is this a very legit question for folks that have material already created...it forces a bit of thinking about getting that next piece of work done in a studio for hire.I've read, here on the forum, that studios using unionized musicians have different pay rates, based on the end use. We'd pay one rate for a demo, and a higher rate for their contribution if the music will be used for public broadcast. Jimi's studio, for example, can do your song at either "demo" rates, or a bit more for a recording that's expected to be used for film/TV etc. Jimi can also structure it so you pay the demo fee first, and then you go back and add some extra if it turns out the song they record is going to be broadcast in some manner as it was recorded.You can also pay the full price up front, get all the releases included with the package, and do anything you can with the song afterwards.It might get even trickier for folks "donating" tracks to each other here on the forum...which happens a lot (thank goodness!!!). There are alot of great tracks being created under the "hey, I'll send you some cash if I ever make some with the song" barter system. Dare we discuss how to do that?Anyone?
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.

simonparker
Impressive
Impressive

Post by simonparker » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:30 pm

Dj - it depends on the terms you agreed to with the original demo company. Generally, in my experience, any songwriter demo would require a musician release. I've gotten releases on a couple occassions when I got tired of being unsuccessful with artist pitches, and had the songs get placed for music libraries.If you like the song, you (budget aside) could always have it redone by another demo company - make sure to get the musicians to release their performance.Claire also makes a good point - don't spend money on a release until you're certain you'll be getting a placement.
http://soundcloud.com/simon-parker

developing artists for record deals since 2008