COPY WRITE / Information needed

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: COPY WRITE / Information needed

Post by Casey H » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:58 am

Aug 29, 2008, 10:45pm, mojobone wrote:It remains to be seen whether copyright registration is really necessary; any form of publishing, including posting on the web, is likely to create enough of a paper trail to hold up in court, and broadcast WAV files are time and date stamped and IIRC, have the unique identifying code of the computer they were created on embedded in the file. Until there's a test case, there's no knowing if such an electronic paper trail will hold up in court, so for now, it's off to Washington for my tunes.One can easily make the argument that copyright registration may not be worth the money. For example, if you are sure you would never go to an attorney regarding possible infringement than there is probably no point. However, bear in mind that if you think there is an infringement, a lawyer's letter with a copy of the U.S. copyright registration could convince the other party to cease or make a settlement with you. So it's not always a matter of whether you would do an all out law suit... a few hundred dollars for the attorney letter might be worth it. ("might" is the big word)...I don't know anything about recent court decisions where anything other than a U.S. copyright was acceptable proof. I'm not at all up on that stuff-- we would need input from an entertainment attorney. What I do know is the U.S. Copyright is the best possible protection out there.Once again I know many artists who don't copyright their work simply because infringement isn't all that common, especially with respect to the publishers, libraries, and A&R folks we submit to. For me personally, I invest the money for protection. It comes down to what your concern is and what you would do if you thought someone was stealing your work.Casey

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:48 am

I have spoken to a lawyer about it, and he said, very distinctly and clearly: "REGISTER THE DAMN SONGS"
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:51 am

Quote:hell, george harrison got clobbered for My Sweet Lord, though i still can't hear that much of a "steal" of the motown hit (don't remember the name, sorry...) he supposedly stole. but he paid his bucks.I always thought he did them a favour!

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:46 am

WELL AFTER THIS BEE NEST WE OPENED....... I SAY ...Very well said VIK..... I think I have learned a lot from this post and I thank u for all your inputs....I like these kinds of discussions, there very interesting to read...... Thanks Again Road man........