A few contract questions if you will ...

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ljweber70
Impressive
Impressive

A few contract questions if you will ...

Post by ljweber70 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:07 pm

I'm about to sign my first contract with a music library and have a couple of questions regarding some contract language for those of you with some experience.1. "When the music is used, you authorize us to register the song under the new title with your PRO and allow us to collect the publisher's share...."-Question 1: Does this mean that I do not need register the licensed work with BMI?-Question 2: Is it a problem that I've already registered the original titled work with BMI showing 200% ownership?2. "We DO NOT own your publishing" ...yet later..."We have the right to register the licensed Work with the appropriate PRO as 100% publisher..."-Question: If the library does not own the publishing, how are they entitled to the publisher's share?3. "...upon Licensee's option, to register each Licensed Work with Soundexchange and to collect all applicable digital performing rights income..."-Question: What is Soundexchange and do I need to (or should I) request that my works be registered?Thank you!Larry

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: A few contract questions if you will ...

Post by matto » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:01 pm

Quote:1. "When the music is used, you authorize us to register the song under the new title with your PRO and allow us to collect the publisher's share...."-Question 1: Does this mean that I do not need register the licensed work with BMI?Correct.Quote:-Question 2: Is it a problem that I've already registered the original titled work with BMI showing 200% ownership?No, that's why they are re-titling it so it won't interfer with that.Quote:2. "We DO NOT own your publishing" ...yet later..."We have the right to register the licensed Work with the appropriate PRO as 100% publisher..."-Question: If the library does not own the publishing, how are they entitled to the publisher's share?They don't need to necessarily own the publishing to collect the publisher's share. By signing this contract you're giving them permission to collect the publisher's share for only those placements they are generating...which will show up under the new title and registration. You remain the owner of the publishing of the underlying tune, and any placements you generate remain unaffected by this agreement since they'll be showing up under the original title.Quote:3. "...upon Licensee's option, to register each Licensed Work with Soundexchange and to collect all applicable digital performing rights income..."-Question: What is Soundexchange and do I need to (or should I) request that my works be registered?Thank you!LarryIt's a digital performing rights organisation established to collect for internet play. I don't know enough about it to give you any advice.

ljweber70
Impressive
Impressive

Re: A few contract questions if you will ...

Post by ljweber70 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:09 am

Matto,Thank you for your time. I was hoping to see a response from you Much appreciation as always,Larry