Publishing Deal Offer - Your Advice please!!!

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Publishing Deal Offer - Your Advice please!!!

Post by sgs4u » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:53 pm

These guys want to use the track. When they say they want it exclusively, but only for film and TV, it's not because they plan to put it up on a shelf. The fact that the song can be used by an artist on her own CD, makes it even more appealing to me. Everything about this deal looks really great to me. (what do I know?) Reversion clauses are not about abundance mentality. Even if the tune did get locked up, and not used, who wants to sit around and wait while it makes cash? Keep writing more songs and get them out. Out of 100 deals, some will be less financially rewarding than others. Some great deals on paper, may even turn out sour. Writing and placing hundreds of tunes, is the only way to ensure success at writing anyway.Read Vikki's big post, about 8 down from this one. The odds of one song or recording changing your life forever, (like winning a lottery), are not worth betting on. Hanging onto one song because you don't like the fact that there's a 5 year term sounds like someone looking for a reason NOT to be successful at this. Allow your future to unfold, effortlessly http://taxi.proboards27.com/index.cgi?a ... 040&page=1 but Rachel, you sure have a great website. I was thoroughly impressed with it. Quote:Hi..... I'm just looking at the "5 year" term of this contract. Shouldn't the contract include a reversion clause? ie: if the publisher doesn't find a usage for the song in film/T.V within a specific time period (eg, 1 year), then the contract can be terminated by the songwriter?I'm not suggesting that this publisher will sit on the song 'but' wouldn't a reversion clause be wise?

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:57 pm

Thank you, Jacqueline, for posting so many of the details of the contract agreement. I need to pay close attention to the advice you receive, both HERE and from your entertainment attorney. (This tiny little isolated New Mexican mountain village I live in isn't exactly crawling with Entertainment attorneys...and I'll be holding a document something like this in my hands within a short amount of time, as well. wooHOO!)And, BTW, congrats on the deal.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

rlcmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by rlcmusic » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:29 pm

Hi Steve,Thank you for your comments about the website. I had the design in my head for a while but when realising my flash skills weren't up to standard - I got a flash developer friend to help implement it.re: above post.....I'd never think that holding a song back/waiting around is a good thing - so much so that I see friends (already very successful in the music industry in their own field) with fantastic songs in their cupboards and I get them out because I like the songs so much - (I've spent mad amounts of time on one of those in the past - it taught me a lot. The reversion clause was simply something that popped in my head as I went to the land of nod last night so I got up again and questioned it to see what feedback it would bring....... There's no doubt in my mind that a law professional should enter at this stage.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:43 am

Hi Folks, Michael asked me to post this message:-----Was checking the board this morning, and saw this thread. A thought.... my experience is that there are VERY few legitimate music attys. who truly understand the library and licensing world as it relates to what most TAXI members need. Most of the attys. who ARE familiar with film/TV, are used to doing to rolling stones deals for major feature films, OR doing scoring deals for John Williams.I'm highly doubtful that MOST "local" music attys. ANYWHERE might really know the drill on this stuff.... Bottom line - I've seen a lot of deals go squirrelly because the atty. tries to over negotiate the deal, and the library just moves on to the next guy who doesn't have an atty. that's trying to bill $2,000 to do a single song library/pub deal.All that said, I've reached out to find an atty. who DOES know this end of the market REALLY well, will have them write an article on the range of deals, and ultimately offer a discount to TAXI members who need such an atty. Also, because many of the deals they'll look at will be repeaters, I would guess the fees will be very low because the atty. will be able to say, "I know this contract well, and it's cool. Let me go over it once to make sure it's the SAME deal I've previously approved, and if so, you're good to go."Want to put this on the thread? I'm okay with that. Anybody else know an atty. that might be a candidate, please PM Vikki, and she'll relay back to me for consideration.thanks,Michael LaskowCEO, TAXI Independent A&R
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:49 am

Thank you , Michael (and Vikki, for the relay). They simply do NOT make CEO's like you anymore.VERY eager to hear what you and your lawyer(s) have to share with us.Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982