Preamp BATTLE

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bobbydazzler
Active
Active

Preamp BATTLE

Post by bobbydazzler » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:22 pm

Which PreAmp...?Okay.. so I was all set to purchase the FMR RNP after all the great reviews I have read about it...when I got hit with a guy at a store telling me that an Apogee MiniMe was WAAAAYYYYY better for only 400 Australian dollars more... (ONLY!!! His words not mine!)He claimed (and this is where I need some advice/anecdotal evidence) that just by plugging it into my MBox2 via SPDf and shifting the clock to run externally rather than internally in my Mbox2... my sound would improve heaps... So it can do everything the FMR RNP can do and more.... To be honest not sure if he was trying to bamboozle me with science in order for me to part with the extra cash...FYI I'll be mainly using a Rode NT2A and Rode NT5'sCheers for any light you may be able to shed....BD

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Preamp BATTLE

Post by andreh » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:14 pm

Quote:Which PreAmp...?Okay.. so I was all set to purchase the FMR RNP after all the great reviews I have read about it...when I got hit with a guy at a store telling me that an Apogee MiniMe was WAAAAYYYYY better for only 400 Australian dollars more... (ONLY!!! His words not mine!)He claimed (and this is where I need some advice/anecdotal evidence) that just by plugging it into my MBox2 via SPDf and shifting the clock to run externally rather than internally in my Mbox2... my sound would improve heaps... So it can do everything the FMR RNP can do and more.... To be honest not sure if he was trying to bamboozle me with science in order for me to part with the extra cash...FYI I'll be mainly using a Rode NT2A and Rode NT5'sCheers for any light you may be able to shed....BD Hi BD-Both of these preamps sound great, with a clean, fairly uncolored sound. The apogee is slightly more neutral, while the RNP seems to add a bit of "fizz" to upper-midrange and high frequencies (6-10k) to my ear. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one as far as sonic quality goes.They do have different features, though, so that may help you make up your mind. Here are their biggest differences:- Mini-me is an excellent stand-alone converter with a digital output; a good thing for you if you're plugging into an Mbox2...and its clock WILL make your whole system sound better.- Mini-me has a compressor and limiter built-in, which will help you get a good signal into your computer without overs.- RNP has front-panel hi-Z inputs, which is very convenient for patching in a bass or guitar on the fly.- RNP has inserts, so you have more flexibility for using your own compressor or EQ. It plugs into (and balances) the RNC with 1 cable per channel, which is nifty.- RNP costs less.Now that I think about it, you probably would be better off with the Minime since you're going into an Mbox, but as always, let your own ears be the judge!Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

bobbydazzler
Active
Active

Re: Preamp BATTLE

Post by bobbydazzler » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:44 pm

Andre...Thanks very much... and congrats on the Oprah placements!!! I am leaning towards the Minime... hopefully you'll hear the results on the forum soon!!BD