PRO registration & Giving permission to use music

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JoshuaRyan

PRO registration & Giving permission to use music

Post by JoshuaRyan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:11 am

Afternoon everyone!

I'm new here and hoping to get some additional insight on a couple things:

First question: Should I be registering all of the tracks I create / submit to listings with my PRO (ASCAP)? I read a few postings but it isn't entirely clear if that is something I need to add to my work flow.

Next question is: I have some friends that would like to use my instrumentals in youtube / facebook vlogs. How should I give them permission for this, and if I do will it jeopardize me getting that track into an "exclusive" library? I've heard libraries will just monetize the videos using the music if they find them, but I want to see if anyone here has had experience with this.

Thanks,
-Josh

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: PRO registration & Giving permission to use music

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:50 pm

JoshuaRyan wrote:Afternoon everyone!
First question: Should I be registering all of the tracks I create / submit to listings with my PRO (ASCAP)? I read a few postings but it isn't entirely clear if that is something I need to add to my work flow.
No , if a Library picks it up they should do it.
JoshuaRyan wrote: Next question is: I have some friends that would like to use my instrumentals in youtube / facebook vlogs. How should I give them permission for this, and if I do will it jeopardize me getting that track into an "exclusive" library? I've heard libraries will just monetize the videos using the music if they find them, but I want to see if anyone here has had experience with this
No direct experience, but do have have about 30 cues currently in exclusive Libraries. I can't imagine they would be very happy if I had also given them away to my friends to use on YouTube. I would either put them in the non-exclusive pile or politely decline your friends.

Marrk

JoshuaRyan

Re: PRO registration & Giving permission to use music

Post by JoshuaRyan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:33 am

Thank you for sharing your experience Mark. That definitely makes sense!

-Josh